Experimental and Numerical Study of Strip Footing Supported on Stabilized Sand Slope
- 382 Downloads
The paper presents the results of laboratory model tests and theoretical analysis on the behavior of a strip footing supported on sheet pile wall-stabilized sandy slope and loaded vertically to failure. The parameters varied in the study include the height, stiffness and location of the sheet pile wall, the location of the footing relative to the slope crest and the relative density of sand. Two-dimensional plane strain finite element analyses was used to analyze a prototype strip footing on sandy slope with same conditions. The results indicate that the inclusion of sheet pile wall has significant effect in improving the response of the strip footing and the slope itself. The theoretical results confirm the experimental results of the model footing tests and show reasonable agreement. Based on the numerical and experimental results, critical values of the sheet pile wall parameters for maximum stabilizing effect are established.
KeywordsStrip footing Sheet pile Slope Bearing capacity Finite element analysis
The tests were performed in Soil Mechanics Laboratory of Structural Engineering Department, University of Tanta which is acknowledged.
- Bowles JE (1996) Foundation analysis and design, 5th edn. The McGraw-Hill Book Company, SingaporeGoogle Scholar
- Bringkgreve R, Vermeer P (1998) PLAXIS-finite element code for soil and rock analysis. Version 7. PLAXIS, The NetherlandsGoogle Scholar
- De Beer E, Wallays M (1970) Stabilization of a slope in schist by means of bored piles reinforced with steel beams. In: Proceedings of the 2nd international congress on rock mechanics, BeogradGoogle Scholar
- Hong WP, Han JG (1996) The behavior of stabilizing piles installed in slopes. In: Proceedings of the 7th international symposium on landslides, Rotterdam, pp 1709–1714Google Scholar
- Huang C, Tatsuoka F, Sato Y (1994) Failure mechanisms of reinforced sand slopes loaded with a footing. Soils Found 24(2):27–40Google Scholar
- Steenfelt JS (1977) Scale effect on bearing capacity factor (Nγ). In: Proceedings of the IXth international conference in soil mechanics and foundation engineering, Tokyo, vol 1, pp 749–752Google Scholar
- Vesic AS (1973) Analysis of ultimate loads of shallow foundations. J Soil Mech Found Div ASCE 94((SM3)):661–688Google Scholar
- Viggiani C (1981) Ultimate lateral load on piles used to stabilize landslides. In: Proceedings of the 10th international conference on soil mechanics and foundation engineering, Stockholm, pp 555–560Google Scholar