Ductile fracture prediction and forming assessment of AA6061-T6 aluminum alloy sheets
- 326 Downloads
In this paper, an extension to a modified Gurson porous ductile material model, namely the Dung’s model, is introduced to investigate ductile fracture processes of AA6061-T6 aluminum alloy sheets. The combined Dung–Hill48 model accounts for anisotropic hardening effects of the matrix material. The constitutive model is implemented as a user-defined material subroutine in ABAQUS/Explicit to predict ductile fracture and formability of the aluminum alloy sheets. Ductile fracture predictability of the model comes from the description of void growth in an anisotropic strain hardening material. After being calibrated the model is applied to establish a fracture plastic strain–triaxiality relation using only tensile test data of smooth and R-notched specimens. Calculations of forming limits from seven deep drawing simulations with Nakajima specimens estimate the formability of the material. Influence of the material anisotropy on the obtained forming limit diagram is discussed.
KeywordsDuctile fracture Sheet metal Forming limit diagram Anisotropic material Hill 48 criterion
This research is funded by Vietnam National University Ho Chi Minh City (VNU-HCM) under Grant No. C2017-20-05.
- ASTM E (2001) Standard test methods for tension testing of metallic materials annual book of ASTM standards ASTMGoogle Scholar
- Gatea S, Ou H, McCartney G (2015) Numerical simulation and experimental investigation of ductile fracture in SPIF using modified GTN model. In: MATEC Web of conferences, 2015. EDP SciencesGoogle Scholar
- ISO12004-2:2008 Metallic materials—sheet and strip—determination of forming-limit curves. Part 2: determination of forming-limit curves in the laboratoryGoogle Scholar
- Kami A, Mollaei Dariani B, Sadough Vanini A, Comsa D-S, Banabic D (2014) Application of a GTN damage model to predict the fracture of metallic sheets subjected to deep-drawing. Proc Roman Acad Ser A 15:300–309Google Scholar
- Nguyen HH, Nguyen TN, Vu HC (2016) Implementation and application of Dung’s model to analyze ductile fracture of metallic material. In: AETA 2015: recent advances in electrical engineering and related sciences. Springer, Berlin, pp 903–913Google Scholar
- Tvergaard V (1982) On localization in ductile materials containing spherical voids. Int J Fract 18:237–252Google Scholar