Equivalent Homogeneous Variable Depth Beams for Cracked FGM Beams; Compliance Approach
- 121 Downloads
We explore the compliance approach for K I evaluation of a cracked three point beam (TPB) of functionally graded material (FGM). We suggest an equivalent beam of variable height for cracked FGM beams which includes the homogeneous beam for the linear, quadratic and cubic variations in elastic modulus along the beam span. The efficacy of equivalent beams is demonstrated numerically on a 250 × 41 × 6 mm FGM beam with modulus varying from 210 – 315 GPa under 5000 N load.
KeywordsThree point beam (TPB) compliance variable height beam functionally graded material (FGM)
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Kishore, Ravi Shankar and S. Sankaran (5 Dec 2005). Gradient syntactic foams: tensile strength, modulus and fractographic features. International conference on Recent Advances in Composite Materials 412, issues 1-2, 153-158.Google Scholar
- Yang J., Chen Y. (2007). Free vibration and buckling analyses of functionally graded beams with edge crack. Composite Structures.Google Scholar
- K R Y Simha (2001). Fracture mechanics for modern engineering design. Universities press.Google Scholar
- Prashant Kumar (1999). Elements of fracture mechanics. Wheeler publishing.Google Scholar
- David Broek (1982). Elementary engineering fracture mechanics. Martinus Nijhoff Publishers.Google Scholar