A One-Dimensional Nonlocal Damage-Plasticity Model for Ductile Materials
- 222 Downloads
This paper presents a new 1-D non-local damage-plasticity deformation model for ductile materials. It uses the thermodynamic framework described in Houlsby and Puzrin (2000) and holds, nevertheless, some similarities with Lemaitre’s (1971) approach. A 1D finite element (FE) model of a bar fixed at one end and loaded in tension at the other end is introduced. This simple model demonstrates how the approach can be implemented within the finite element framework, and that it is capable of capturing both the pre-peak hardening and post-peak softening (generally responsible for models instability) due to damage-induced stiffness and strength reduction characteristic of ductile materials. It is also shown that the approach has further advantages of achieving some degree of mesh independence, and of being able to capture deformation size effects. Finally, it is illustrated how the model permits the calculation of essential work of rupture (EWR), i.e. the specific energy per unit cross-sectional area that is needed to cause tensile failure of a specimen.
Keywordsmetallic materials plasticity damage softening fracture energy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cotterell B., Redell J.K. (1977), The essential work of plane stress ductile fracture. Int. J. Fracture 13, 267–277Google Scholar
- Lemaitre, J., 1971, Evaluation of dissipation and damage in metals, Proc. I.C.M. Kyoto, Japan, Vol. 1Google Scholar
- Lemaitre, J., 1992, A course on damage mechanics, Springer VerlagGoogle Scholar
- Lemaitre, J., Chaboche J.-L., 1990, Mechanics of Solid Materials, Cambridge University PressGoogle Scholar
- Nguyen, G.D., Houlsby, G.T., 2007, Nonlocal damage modelling of concrete: a procedure for the determination of parameters, Int. J. Numer. Anal. Meth. in Geomech., in pressGoogle Scholar
- Nguyen, G.D., Korsunsky, A.M., 2007, A nonlocal coupled damage-plasticity model for concrete, FramCos6 conference, to appear.Google Scholar
- Nguyen, G.D., Korsunsky, A.M., Belnoue, J.P., 2007, A nonlocal coupled damage-plasticity model for fracture analysis of metallic materials, in preparationGoogle Scholar