Effect of Off – Axis Matrix Cracking on Stiffness of Symmetric Angle-Ply Composite Laminates
- 149 Downloads
Matrix cracking models developed for cross-ply composite laminates cannot easily be applied to more complicated geometries. In this paper a detailed analysis of the effect of matrix cracking on the longitudinal Young’s Modulus of a [0/45]s plate under uniaxial tension is attempted. The theoretical approach, based on a semi-analytical generalized plane strain model, is compared to experimental data obtained by microscopic strain measurements on a fiber sensor using the technique of laser Raman Spectroscopy. The experimental results are in a good agreement with theoretical stiffness degradation predictions obtained using the semi-analytical model.
Keywordscomposite materials matrix cracking stiffness reduction Raman spectroscopy generalized plane strain model
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Katerelos D.G., Galiotis C., Ogin S.L., Whattingham R.D. (2000). Determination of stiffness reduction and residual strain caused by transverse cracking using an embedded aramid fibre strain sensor. Proceedings of ECCM 9, (Proc. on CD) June 2000, Brighton, UK.Google Scholar
- Katerelos, D.G., Parthenios, J., Galiotis, C. (2003) Strain redistribution in composite laminates resulting from off-axis ply cracking. In E.E. Gdoutos and Z. Margioli-Riga (eds.) Recent advances in composite materials - In honor of S. A. Paipetis. Kluwer Publishers. 139-150Google Scholar
- Lundmark, P., Varna, J. (2005). Stiffness reduction in laminates at high crack density: effect of crack interaction. International Journal of Damage Mechanics in press.Google Scholar
- Lundmark, P., Varna, J. (2005) Crack face sliding effect on stiffness of laminates with ply cracks. Composites Science and Technology accepted.Google Scholar
- McCartney L. N. (2000). Model to predict effects of triaxial loading on ply cracking in general symmetric laminates. Composites Science and Technology 60, 2255-2279 (See errata in Composites Science and Technology 62, (2002) 1273-1274).Google Scholar
- Zhang, J., Fan, J., Soutis, C. 1992Analysis of multiple matrix cracking in [±θm/90n]s composite laminates Part 1In plane stiffness properties Composites23291304Google Scholar