Analytical Solution for an Orthotropic Elastic Plate Containing Cracks
- 141 Downloads
The problem of estimating the bending stress distribution in the neighborhood of a crack located on a single line in an orthotropic elastic plate of constant thickness subjected to bending moment or twisting moment is examined. Using classical plate theory and integral transform techniques, the general formulae for the bending moment and twisting moment in an elastic plate containing cracks located on a single line are derived. The solution is obtained in a closed form for the case in which there is a single crack in an infinite plate and the results are compared with those obtained from the literature.
KeywordsBending crack integral transform orthotropic plate stress intensity factor twisting
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Jones, D.L., Subramonian, N. 1983An analytical and experimental study of the plate tearing mode of fractureEngineering Fracture Mechanics174762Google Scholar
- Massabò, R., Brandinelli, L., Cox, B.N. 2003Mode I weight functions for an orthotropic double cantilever beamInternational Journal of Engineering Science4114971518Google Scholar
- Murakami, Y. 1987Stress Intensity Factors HandbookPergamon PressOxfordVol. 2Google Scholar
- Sih, G.C., Paris, P.C., Erdogan, F. 1962Crack-tip, stress-intensity factors for plate extension and plate bending problemsASME Journal of Applied Mechanics9306312Google Scholar
- Timoshenko, S.P 1959Theory of Plates and ShellsMcGraw Hill Book CompanyAucklandGoogle Scholar
- Viz, M.J., Potyondy, D.O., Zehnder, A.T., Rankin, C.C., Riks, E. 1995International Journal of Fracture722138Google Scholar
- Zehnder, A.T., Hui, C.-Y. 1994Stress intensity factors for plate bending and shearing problemsJournal of Applied Mechanics61719722Google Scholar