Modelling of extreme wave heights and periods through copulas
Optimal design of coastal or offshore structures requires the estimation of extreme quantiles of oceanographic data such as wave heights and wave periods. Since there are strong correlations between oceanographic variables, it is necessary to use multivariate models in order to capture its dependencies. To achieve this, an approach based on copulas is proposed and is compared to a model based on the physical behaviour of waves.
KeywordsAsymptotic independence Extreme value theory Joint probability density functions Multivariate extreme value distribution Oceanography Threshold models Dirichlet process BPL copulas
AMS 2000 Subject ClassificationPrimary—46N30 62G32
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Basu, S., Chib, S.: Marginal likelihood and Bayes factors for Dirichlet Process based mixture models (personal communicated manuscript) (2001)Google Scholar
- Beirlant, J., Teugels, J.L., Vynckier, P.: Practical Analysis of Extreme Values. Leuven University Press (1996)Google Scholar
- Fang, Z.S., Hogben, N.: Analysis and prediction of long-term probability distributions of wave height and periods. Technical report of the National Maritime Institute, London (1982)Google Scholar
- Ferguson, T.S.: Bayesian density estimation by mixtures of normal distributions. Recent Advances in Statistics: Papers in Honor of Herman Chernoff on his 60th Birthday, pp. 202–287. Academic, New York (1983)Google Scholar
- Gelman, A., Carlin, J.B., Stern, H.S., Rubin, D.B.: Bayesian data analysis. Chapman & Hall, London, UK (1995)Google Scholar
- Ochi, M.K.: Wave statistics for ships and structures. Proc. SNAME conf, New York (1978)Google Scholar
- Repko, A., Van Gelder, P.H.A.J.M., Voortman, H.G., Vrijling, J.K.: Bivariate statistical analysis of wave climates, Proceedings of the 27th ICCE, Vol. 1, pp. 583–596. Coastal Engineering 2000, Sydney, Australia, 16–21, Ed. Billy L. Edge, ASCE (2000)Google Scholar
- Venter, G.G.: Tails of copulas. Paper appears in website http://www.casact.org/pubs/proceed/proceed01/ (2002)
- Vrijling, J.K.: Probabilistic Design in Hydraulic Eng., Delft Univ. of Tech (1996)Google Scholar