Interaction of the mutant genes B, og c , hp and t in the coloring of tomato fruit
- 275 Downloads
The aim of this study was to assess the effect of the mutant genes B, og c , hp, and t on the fruit color of tomato genotypes. Two tomato lines (TOM-498 and TOM-499) with BB genotype composition (high β-carotene homozygous) were used in hybrid combinations with 7 tomato lines with different genotype compositions in loci og c , hp, or t—Floradade, TOM-596, TOM-544, NC-8276, NC-2Y, Florida 7775, and Florida 7781. A randomized complete block design with 24 treatments and four replications was used. Both external and internal fruit color were assessed with a Minolta CR-400 colorimeter in the CIE L*, a* and b* mode. Hue and chroma readings were taken at four different points (epidermis, pericarp, placenta, and columella) of the fruit. For high β-carotene heterozygous hybrids B + /B, hue angle indicated an orange color (since these hybrids did not come to equal the genotypes of normal coloring, red), even when genes promoting lycopene synthesis (og c , hp) were deployed as heterozygous genotypes. Fruit of high β-carotene heterozygous hybrids, without t, og c , or hp, had chroma values similar to fruit of homozygous high β-carotene lines. The use of the og c allele in heterozygosity led to higher chroma values in high β-carotene heterozygous genotypes in relation to the values found in high β-carotene heterozygous genotypes not bearing the og c gene. The og c homozygous lines had hue values that did not differ from those in normal genotypes in the epidermis and pericarp, but showed a significant shift towards red in the placenta and in the columella.
KeywordsSolanum lycopersicum Enriched food Lycopene Beta-carotene Plant breeding
The authors thank the following Brazilian institutions that provide support for this research Project: FAPEMIG-Fundação de Amparo à Pesquisa do Estado de Minas Gerais, CNPq-Conselho Nacional de Desenvolvimento Científico e Tecnológico, FINEP—Financiadora de Estudos e Projetos/MCT-Ministério de Ciência e Tecnologia/FNDCT—Fundo Nacional de Desenvolvimento Científico e Tecnológico, CAPES-Coordenação de Aperfeiçoamento de Pessoal de Nível Superior/MEC-Ministério da Educação Brasileiro, UFLA-Universidade Federal de Lavras, HortiAgro Sementes S.A., FUNDECC-Fundação para o Desenvolvimento Científico e Tecnológico, and FAEPE-Fundação de Apoio ao Ensino, Pesquisa e Extensão.
- Agarwal S, Rao AV (2000) Tomato lycopene and its role in human health and chronic diseases. Can Med Assoc J 163(6):739–744Google Scholar
- Color Glossary (2012) Color glossary. http://www.sapdesignguild.org/resources/glossary_color. Accessed 23 October 2012
- Giordano LB, Aragão FAS, Boiteux LS (2003) Melhoramento genético do tomateiro. Inform Agropecu 24:43–57Google Scholar
- Konica Minolta (2012) Precise color communication. http://www.konicaminoltaeurope.com/pcc/en. Accessed 12 November 2012
- Thompson AE, Tomes ML, Wann EV, Mccollum JP, Stoner AK (1965) Characterization of old-gold crimson tomato fruit color. Proc Am Soc Hortic Sci 86(1):610–616Google Scholar
- Thompson AE, Tomes ML, Erickson HT, Wann EV, Armstrong RJ (1967) Inheritance of crimson fruit color in tomatoes. Proc Am Soc Hortic Sci 91:495–504Google Scholar