Multi-criteria risk management with the use of DecernsMCDA: methods and case studies
- 171 Downloads
Emerging challenges of risk management, environmental protection, and land-use planning requires integration of stakeholder values and expert judgment. The process of decision making in situation of high uncertainty can be assisted through the use of decision support systems (DSSs). Such DSSs are often based on tools for spatial data representation (GIS) and environmental models that are integrated using multi-criteria decision analysis (MCDA). This paper presents DecernsMCDA implementing all major types of multi-criteria methods and tools (AHP, MAUT, Outranking) under the same user interface. In addition to providing ability for testing model uncertainty associated with selection of specific MCDA algorithms, DecernsMCDA implements new algorithms for parameter uncertainty analysis based on probabilistic approaches and fuzzy sets. The paper illustrates application of DecernsMCDA for selecting remedial alternative at radiologically contaminated sites.
KeywordsRisk management Multi-criteria decision analysis Decision support system MCDA software Uncertainty analysis
We thank all our colleagues from DECERNS team for their participation in development of the described system. This study was supported in parts by the US Army Corps of Engineers. Permission was granted by the USACE to publish this material.
- Bäverstam U, Fraser G, Kelly GN (1997) Decision making support for off-site emergency management: proceedings of the Fourth International Workshop, vol 17920, Aronsborg, Sweden, 7–11 Oct 1996. Nuclear Technology PubGoogle Scholar
- Figueira J, Greco S, Ehrgott M (eds) (2005) Multiple criteria decision analysis: state of the art surveys. Springer, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Jorge H, Zarate P, Dargam F, Delibasić B, Liu S, Ribeiro R (eds) (2012) Decision support systems—collaborative models and approaches in real environments: Euro Working Group Workshops, EWG-DSS 2011, London, UK, June 23–24, 2011, and Paris, France, November 30–December 1, 2011, Revised Selected and Extended Papers, vol 121. SpringerGoogle Scholar
- Keeney RL, Raiffa H (1976) Decision with multiple objectives. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Linkov I, Moberg E (2011) Multi-criteria decision analysis: environmental applications and case studies. CRC Press, Boca RatonGoogle Scholar
- Marcomini A, Suter GW, Critto A (eds) (2009) Decision support systems for risk-based management of contaminated sites. Springer, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Riabacke M, Danielson M, Ekenberg L (2012) State-of-the-art prescriptive criteria weight elicitation. Adv Decis Sci. doi: 10.1155/2012/276584
- von Winterfeldt D, Edwards W (1986) Decision analysis and behavioral research. Cambridge University Press, CambridgeGoogle Scholar