The uniform asymptotic form of the internal gravity-wave field generated by a source moving above a smoothly varying bottom
The uniform asymptotic form of the internal gravity-wave field generated by a source moving above a smoothly varying bottom is constructed. The problem of reconstructing non-harmonic internal gravity-wave packets generated by a source moving in a stratified ocean is considered. The solution is proposed in terms of wave modes, propagating independently at the adiabatic approximation, and described as a non-integral-degree series of a small parameter characterizing the stratified medium. A specific form of the wave packets, which can be parameterized in terms of model functions (Airy functions), depends on the local behavior of the dispersion curves of the individual wave mode. A modified space–time ray method was proposed, which belongs to the class of geometrical-optics methods. The key point of the proposed technique is the possibility to derive the asymptotic representation of the solution in terms of a non-integral-degree series of the some small parameter.
KeywordsCaustic surface Eikonal equation Rays and wave fronts Stratified medium WKB approximation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Babich VM, Buldyrev VS (2007) Asymptotic methods in short-wavelength diffraction theory. Alpha Science, OxfordGoogle Scholar
- 2.Borovikov VA (1994) Uniform stationary phase method. IEE electromagnetic waves, series 40. Institution of Electrical Engineers, LondonGoogle Scholar
- 4.Bulatov VV, Vladimirov YuV (2006) General problems of the internal gravity waves linear theory. http://arxiv.org/abs/physics/0609236
- 5.Bulatov VV, Vladimirov YuV (2006) Dynamics of the internal gravity waves in the heterogeneous and nonstationary stratified mediums. http://arxiv.org/abs/physics/0611040
- 6.Bulatov VV, Vladimirov YuV (2007) Internal gravity waves: theory and applications. Nauka Publishers, MoscowGoogle Scholar
- 13.Luke YL (1975) Mathematical functions and their approximation. Academic Press Inc, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 15.Miropol’skii YuZ, Shishkina OV (2001) Dynamics of internal gravity waves in the ocean. Kluwer Academic Publishers, BostonGoogle Scholar
- 18.Wunsch C (1968) On the propagation of internal waves up a slope. Deep Sea Res 15: 251–258Google Scholar