Nonlinear dynamical model of compartment fire flashover
- 162 Downloads
A new dynamical model predicting compartment fire flashover is presented. The development is motivated by apparent deficiencies of available models. Innovative interpretation of flashover in terms of thermal explosion theory is proposed. In contrast to previously developed flashover dynamical models, which can be interpreted in terms of classical thermal explosion, the present model is interpreted as a conjugate thermal explosion. Therefore, the general conjugate thermal explosion concept finds its natural application in compartment fire dynamics. Critical conditions for compartment fire flashover are derived for the present model, and compared to those available from earlier studies.
KeywordsConjugate Critical conditions Dynamical model Fire Flashover Thermal explosion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Thomas PH (1995) The growth of fire—ignition till full involvement. In: Cox G (eds) Combustion fundamentals of fire. Academic Press/Hartcourt Brace and Company, LondonGoogle Scholar
- 8.Beard AN, Drysdale DD, Holborn PG, Bishop SR (1992) A non-linear model of flashover. Fire Sci Technol 12: 11–27Google Scholar
- 11.Beard AN, Holborn PG, Holborn PG, Bishop SR (1994) A model of instability and flashover. J Appl Fire Sci 4: 3–16Google Scholar
- 14.Graham TL, Makhviladze GM (2001) A comparison of flashover models. In: Proceedings of the third international seminar on fire and explosion hazards, University of Central Lancashire, Preston, 10–14 April 2000Google Scholar
- 18.Incropera FP, DeWitt DP (2002) Fundamentals of heat and mass transfer. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 20.Barzykin VV (2004) Thermal regimes of exothermic reactions. Institute of Structural Macrokinetics, Russian Academy of Sciences, Chernogolovka (in Russian)Google Scholar