A Comparison of Stability and Bifurcation Criteria for a Compressible Elastic Cube
A version of Rivlin’s cube problem is considered for compressible materials. The cube is stretched along one axis by a fixed amount and then subjected to equal tensile loads along the other two axes. A number of general results are found. Because of the homogeneous trivial and non-trivial deformations exact bifurcation results can be found and an exact stability analysis through the second variation of the energy can be performed. This problem is then used to compare results obtained using more general methods. Firstly, results are obtained for a more general bifurcation analysis. Secondly, the exact stability results are compared with stability results obtained via a new method that is applicable to inhomogeneous problems. This new stability method allows a full nonlinear stability analysis of inhomogeneous deformations of arbitrary, compressible or incompressible, hyperelastic materials. The second variation condition expressed as an integral involving two arbitrary perturbations is replaced with an equivalent nonlinear third order system of ordinary differential equations. The positive definiteness condition is thereby reduced to the simple numerical evaluation of zeros of a well behaved function.
Keywordsbifurcation nonlinear elasticity stability
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Rivlin, R.S. 1948Large elastic deformations of isotropic materials. II. Some uniqueness theorems for pure homogeneous deformationPhil. Trans. R Soc. London A240491508Google Scholar
- 2.Rivlin, R.S. 1974Stability of pure homogeneous deformations of an elastic cube under dead loadingQ. Appl. Math.32265271Google Scholar
- 5.Ogden, R.W. 1997Non-Linear Elastic DeformationsDover PublicationsNew York532Google Scholar
- 7.Pearson, C.E. 1956General theory of elastic stabilityQ. Appl. Math.14133144Google Scholar
- 10.Ogden, R.W. 1984On non-uniqueness in the traction boundary-value problem for a compressible elastic solidQ. Appl. Math.42337344Google Scholar
- 11.Rivlin, R.S., Beatty, M.F. 2003Dead loading of a unit cube of compressible isotropic elastic materialZ.A.M.P.54954963Google Scholar
- 12.Chen, Y.C., Haughton, D.M. 2003Stability and bifurcation of inflation of elastic cylindersProc. R Soc. London A.459137156Google Scholar
- 15.Truesdell, C.A., Noll, W. 1965Flügge, S. eds. The non-linear field theories of mechanics. Handbuch der Physik, Vol. III/3SpringerHeidelbrg11602Google Scholar