Organochlorine pesticide residues in surface water and groundwater along Pampanga River, Philippines
- 189 Downloads
Pesticide use in developing countries such as the Philippines has significantly increased food production. However, the improper and poorly regulated practice of pesticide use may lead to pollution of water resources. To detect and assess the extent of pesticide contamination, residues of organochlorine pesticides were tested in surface water and groundwater in selected areas along the Pampanga River, Philippines. The physicochemical properties of the surface water and ground water were also analyzed and results revealed that phosphate concentrations in surface water and groundwater samples were two to three times higher than the regulatory limits of 0.5 mg L−1, whereas the nitrate concentrations were below the regulatory limit of 7 mg L−1. Results further revealed that surface water and groundwater showed the presence of seven organochlorine pesticides and residues listed in the Stockholm Convention list of 2009 such as dieldrin, endrin aldehyde, α-BHC, β-BHC, δ-BHC, γ-chlordane, and endosulfan II. The concentrations of organochlorine pesticides including endrin aldehyde, total BHCs (i.e., α-BHC, β-BHC, δ-BHC), and heptachlor in groundwater were also found to exceed regulatory limits, indicating that these chemicals are still being used illegally and remains a major environmental concern despite the bans and restrictions. We suggest that routine chemical monitoring (including seasonal variations) coupled with biological monitoring using a battery of biomarker tests of organochlorine pesticide and residues along the Pampanga River is necessary to provide inputs for the control and reduction of environmental pollution and for minimizing human health risks.
KeywordsAgriculture Groundwater Organochlorine pesticides Pampanga River Surface water Water pollution
We thank Ariel Torres, Dafrose Bajaro, Clarisse Rivera, and Gerald Dicen for their assistance during ocular and sampling activities and the owners of the tube wells who allowed us to collect the water samples.
This research received partial support from the Ateneo de Manila University–Loyola School Grants (SOSE-05-2014). The University Research Council of Ateneo de Manila University has granted a research faculty fellowship to Ian A. Navarrete during the preparation of the manuscript.
- ATSDR Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry. (1996) Toxicological profile for endrin. Atlanta: US Dept Health Human Services.Google Scholar
- ATSDR Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry. (2007). Toxicological profile for heptachlor and heptachlor epoxide. Atlanta: US Dept Health Human Services.Google Scholar
- Bajaro DCM (2017) Assessment of heavy metal concentrations in sediments and agricultural soils along the Pampanga river. BSc Thesis, Ateneo de Manila University, Philippines, 102 pp.Google Scholar
- Bidleman, T. F., Kurt-Karakus, P. B., Wong, F., Alegria, H. A., Jantuen, L. M., & Hung, H. (2013). Is there still “new” DDT in North America? An investigation using proportions of DDT compounds. In M. C. LL, J. Dachs, & C. J. Hapeman (Eds.), Occurrence, fate and impact of atmospheric pollutants on environmental and human health (pp. 153–181). Washington DC: ACS Symposium Series 1149 American Chemical Society.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Blankespoor B, Dasgupta S, Dhouibi W, Lagnaoui A, Meisner C, Salah HB (2009) Stockpiles of obsolete pesticides: threats to ecosystems and biodiversity. World Bank Development Research Group.Google Scholar
- Blus, L. J. (2003). Organochlorine pesticides. In D. J. Hofman, B. A. Rattner, G. A. Burton Jr, & J. Cairns Jr (Eds.), Handbook of ecotoxicology (2nd ed., pp. 313–340). Boca Raton: Lewis Publishers.Google Scholar
- Bradlow, H. L., Davis, D. L., Lin, G., Sepkovic, D., & Tiwari, R. (1995). Effects of pesticides on the ratio of 16-alpha/2-hydroxysterone—a biologic marker of breast cancer risk. Health Perspectives, 103, 147–150.Google Scholar
- European Union Directive. (2006). Directive 2006/118/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 12 December 2006 on the protection of groundwater against pollution and deterioration. http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:32006L0118&from=ES. Accessed on 5 Dec 2017.
- European Union Directive. (2008). Directive 2008/105/EC of the European parliament and of the council of 16 December 2008 on environmental quality standards in the field of water policy, amending and subsequently repealing Council Directives 82/176/EEC, 83/513/EEC, 84/156/EEC, 84/491/EEC, 86/280/EEC and amending Directive 2000/60/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council. https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:32008L0105&from=EN. Accessed on 5 Dec 2017.
- Fertilizer and Pesticide Authority. (2015). Banned and restricted pesticides in the Philippines. Accessed on 5 Dec 2017.Google Scholar
- Food and Agriculture Organization (2017) Prevention and disposal of obsolete pesticides: pesticide bans. Accessed on 5 Dec 2017.Google Scholar
- Lal, R., & Saxena, D. M. (1982). Accumulation, metabolism, and effects of organochlorine insecticides on microorganisms. Microbiological Reviews, 46(1), 95–127.Google Scholar
- Lin, Z., Li, X. M., Li, Y. T., HUang, D. Y., Dong, J., & Li, F. B. (2012). Enhancement effect of two ecological earthworm species (Eisenia fietida and Amynthas robusta E. Perrier) on removal and degradation processes of soil DDT. Journal of Environmental Monitoring, 14, 1551–1558.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Mahusay LA (2015) Mayor: waste, water lilies caused Masantol fishkill. Sunstar Pampanga. Accessed on 5 Dec 2017.Google Scholar
- NIP. (2014). National implementation plan for the Stockholm Convention on persistent organic pollutants. Philippines: Department of Environment and Natural Resources 85p.Google Scholar
- Orejas T. (2015). Fishkill traced to rain, flood, sewage. Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved from http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/708361/fishkill-traced-to-rain-flood-sewage. Accessed on 5 Dec 2017.
- Pedersen TI. (1997). Phosphates. Oregon State University. Retrieved from http://extoxnet.orst.edu/faqs/safedrink/phos.htm. Accessed on 5 Dec 2017.
- Santiago EC, Kwan CS (2008) Monitoring POPs in selected biota in the Philippines. Proceedings of a conference on The Role of Academia and the Private Sector for the Stockholm Convention held in Tokyo, Japan, November 2008.Google Scholar
- Stockholm Convention on Persistent Organic Pollutants. (2008). Draft risk profile for alpha-hexachlorocyclohexane. http://chm.pops.int/Portals/0/Repository/poprc4/UNEP-POPS-POPRC.4-8.English.PDF. Accessed on 5 Dec 2017.
- Tano, Z. J. (2011). Identity, physical and chemical properties of pesticides. In M. Stoytcheva (Ed.), Pesticides in the modern world—trends in pesticide analysis (1st ed., pp. 1–18). Rijeka: InTech.Google Scholar
- United States Environmental Protection Agency. (2000). Heptachlor. Retrieved from https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2016-09/documents/heptachlor.pdf. Accessed on 5 Dec 2017.
- Wetterauer, B., Ricking, M., Otte, J. C., Hallare, A. V., Rastall, A., Erdinger, L., Schwarzbauer, J., Braunbeck, T., & Hollert, H. (2012). Toxicity, dioxin-like activities, and endocrine effects of DDT metabolites—DDA, DDMU, DDMS, and DDCN. Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 19(2), 403–441.CrossRefGoogle Scholar