Synthesis and application of ion-imprinted polymer nanoparticles for the extraction and preconcentration of mercury in water and food samples employing cold vapor atomic absorption spectrometry
We describe a nanosized Hg(II)-imprinted polymer that was prepared from methacrylic acid as functional monomer, ethyleneglycol dimethacrylate as cross-linker, 2,2′-azobisisobutyronitrile (AIBN) as radical initiator, 2, 2′-di pyrydyl amine as a specific ligand, and Hg (II) as the template ions by precipitation polymerization method in methanol as the progeny solvent. Batch adsorption experiments were carried out as a function of pH, Hg (II) imprinted polymer amount, adsorption and desorption time, volume, and concentration of eluent. The synthesized polymer particles were characterized physically and morphologically by using infrared spectroscopy, thermogravimetric analysis, X-ray diffraction, and scanning electron microscopic techniques. The maximum adsorption capacity of the ion-imprinted and non-imprinted sorbent was 27.96 and 7.89 mg g−1, respectively. Under optimal conditions, the detection limit for mercury was 0.01 μg L−1 and the relative standard deviation was 3.2 % (n = 6) at the 1.00 μg L−1. The procedure was applied to determination of mercury in fish and water samples with satisfactory results.
KeywordsIon-imprinted polymer Nanoparticles Mercury Food samples
The authors are grateful to the Ilam University Research Council for financing the project.
- Adlnasab, L., Ebrahimzadeh, H., Asgharinezhad, A. A., Nasiri Aghdam, M., Dehghani, A., & Esmaeilpour, S. (2014). A preconcentration procedure for determination of ultra-trace mercury (II) in environmental samples employing continuous-flow cold vapor atomic absorption spectrometry. Food Analytical Methods, 7, 616–628.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Behbahani, M., Salarian, M., Bagheri, A., Tabani, H., Omidi, F., & Fakhari, A. (2014). Synthesis, characterization and analytical application of Zn(II)-imprinted polymer as an efficient solid-phase extraction technique for trace determination of zinc ions in food samples. Journal of Food Composition and Analysis, 34, 81–89.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Dehno Khalaji, D., Mehrani, S., Eigner, V., & Dusek, M. (2013). Synthesis, experimental and theoretical studies on its crystal structure and FT-IR spectrum of new thiosemicarbazone compound E-2-(4-isopropylbenzylidene)thiosemicarbazone. Journal of Molecular Structure, 1047, 87–94.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- EPA (Environmental Protection Agency, United States) (2001). Mercury update: Impact of fish advisories. In: EPA Fact Sheet EPA823-F-01-011, Office of Water, USEPA, Washington, DC.Google Scholar
- He, Q., Chang, X. J., Zheng, H., Jiang, N., Hu, Z., & Wang, X. Y. (2008). Determination of chromium (III) and total chromium in natural waters using a surface ion-imprinted silica gel as selective adsorbent. International Journal of Environmental Analytical Chemistry, 88, 373–384.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Jones, P., & Hardy, S. (1997). Development of a capillary electrophoretic method for the separation and determination of trace inorganic and organomercury species utilizing the formation of highly absorbing water soluble dithizone sulphonate complexes. Journal of Chromatography A, 765, 345–352.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Li, S. X., Zheng, F. Y., Cai, S. J., & Cai, T. S. (2011). Determination of mercury and selenium in herbal medicines and hair by using a nanometer TiO2-coated quartz tube atomizer and hydride generation atomic absorption spectrometry. Journal of Hazardous Materials, 189, 609–613.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Moreda-Pińeiro, J., López-Mahıa, P., Muniategui-Lorenzo, S., Fernández-Fernández, E., & Prada-Rodrıguez, D. (2002). Direct as, Bi, Ge, Hg and Se (IV) cold vapor/hydride generation from coal fly ash slurry samples and determination by electrothermal atomic absorption spectrometry. Spectrochimica Acta B, 57, 883–895.CrossRefGoogle Scholar