Electrochemical determination of hydrazine using a ZrO2 nanoparticles-modified carbon paste electrode
In the present paper, the use of a carbon paste electrode modified by 3-(4′-amino-3′-hydroxy-biphenyl-4-yl)-acrylic acid (3,4′AA) and ZrO2 nanoparticles prepared by a simple and rapid method was described. The heterogeneous electron transfer properties of (3,4′AA) coupled to ZrO2 nanoparticles at the carbon paste electrode were investigated using cyclic voltammetry, chronoamperometry, and square wave voltammetry in aqueous buffer solutions. Under the optimized conditions, the square wave voltammetric peak currents of hydrazine increased linearly with hydrazine concentrations in the range of 2.5 × 10−8 to 5.0 × 10−5 M, and detection limit of 14 nM was obtained for hydrazine. Finally, this modified electrode was used for the determination of hydrazine in water samples, using standard addition method.
KeywordsHydrazine ZrO2 nanoparticles Chemically modified electrodes Carbon paste electrode
The authors wish to thank Payame Noor University for support of this work.
- Adekunle, A. S., & Ozoemena, K. I. (2008). Insights into the electro-oxidation of hydrazine at single-walled carbon-nanotube-modified edge-plane pyrolytic graphite electrodes electro-decorated with metal and metal oxide films. Journal of Solid State Electrochemistry, 12(10), 1325–1336.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Bard, A. J., & Faulkner, L. R. (2001). Electrochemical methods fundamentals and applications (2nd ed.). New York: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Beitollahi, H., Karimi-Maleh, H., & Khabazzadeh, H. (2008). Nanomolar and selective determination of epinephrine in the presence of norepinephrine using carbon paste electrode modified with carbon nanotubes and novel 2-(4-Oxo-3-phenyl-3,4-dihydroquinazolinyl)- N′-phenyl-hydrazinecarbothioamide. Analytical Chemistry, 80(24), 9848–9851.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Beitollahi, H., Raoof, J. B., & Hosseinzadeh, R. (2011). Application of a carbon-paste electrode modified with 2,7- bis(ferrocenyl ethyl)fluoren-9-one and carbon nanotubes for voltammetric determination of levodopa in the presence of uric acid and folic acid. Electroanalysis, 23(8), 1934–1940.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Beitollahi, H., Tajik, S., Karimi Maleh, H., & Hosseinzadeh, R. (2013). Application of a 1-benzyl-4-ferrocenyl-1H-[1,2,3]-triazole/carbon nanotube modified glassy carbon electrode for voltammetric determination of hydrazine in water samples. Applied Organometalic Chemistry, 27(8), 444–450.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Chitravathi, S., Kumara Swamy, B. E., Mamatha, G. P., & Sherigara, B. S. (2012). Electrochemical behavior of poly (naphthol green B)-film modified carbon paste electrode and its application for the determination of dopamine and uric acid. Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry, 667, 66–75.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Esfandiari Baghbamidi, S., Beitollahi, H., Mohammadi, S. Z., Tajik, S., Soltani-Nejad, S., & Soltani-Nejad, V. (2013). Nanostructure-based electrochemical sensor for the voltammetric determination of benserazide, uric acid, and folic acid. Chinese Journal of Catalysis, 34(10), 1869–1875.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Galus, Z. (1976). Fundamentals of electrochemical analysis. New York: Ellis Horwood.Google Scholar
- Karimi-Maleh, H., Tahernejad-Javazmi, F., Ensafi, A. A., Moradi, R., Mallakpour, S., & Beitollahi, H. (2014). A high sensitive biosensor based on FePt/CNTs nanocomposite/N-(4-hydroxyphenyl)-3,5-dinitrobenzamide modified carbon paste electrode for simultaneous determination of glutathione and piroxicam. Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 60, 1–7.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Mokhtari, A., Karimi-Maleh, H., Ensafi, A. A., & Beitollahi, H. (2012). Application of modified multiwall carbon nanotubes paste electrode for simultaneous voltammetric determination of morphine and diclofenac in biological and pharmaceutical samples. Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, 169, 96–105.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Raoof, J. B., Ojani, R., Beitollahi, H., & Hosseinzadeh, R. (2006). Electrocatalytic oxidation and highly selective voltammetric determination of l-cysteine at the surface of a1-[4-(ferrocenyl ethynyl)phenyl]-1-ethanone modified carbon paste electrode. Analytical Sciences, 22(9), 1213–1220.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Sax, N. I. (1980). Dangerous properties of industrial materials (4th ed., p. 814). New York: van Nostrand-Reinhold.Google Scholar