Dissipation kinetics and effect of different decontamination techniques on the residues of emamectin benzoate and spinosad in cowpea pods
- 179 Downloads
Dissipation and decontamination of the semisynthetic macrolide emamectin benzoate and the natural insecticide spinosad on cowpea pods were studied following field application at single and double doses of 11.0 and 22 and 73 and 146 g ai ha−1, respectively. Residues of these naturalytes were estimated using LC-MS/MS. The initial deposit of 0.073 and 0.153 mg kg−1 of emamectin benzoate dissipated below quantitation level on the fifth and seventh day at single and double dosage, respectively. For spinosad, the initial deposits of 0.94 and 1.90 mg kg−1 reached below quantitation level on the 7th day and 15th day at single and double dosage, respectively. The half-life of emamectin benzoate and spinosad was 1.13–1.49 and 1.05–1.39 days with the calculated safe waiting period of 2.99–6.12 and 1.09–3.25 days, respectively, for single and double dosage. Processing of the harvestable pods with different decontamination techniques resulted in 33.82 to 100 % removal 2 h after the application of emamectin benzoate and 100 % removal 3 days after spraying, while the removal was 42.05 to 87.46 % 2 h after the application of spinosad and 38.05 to 68.08 % 3 days after application.
KeywordsCowpea Spinosad Emamectin benzoate Dissipation Decontamination
The authors wish to express their gratitude to the Kerala Agricultural University for providing field and analytical research facilities for the conduct of the study.
- Anastassiades, M., Lehotay, S. J., Stajnbaher, D., & Schenck, F. J. (2003). Fast and easy multiresidue method employing acetonitrile extraction/partitioning and “dispersive solid-phase extraction” for the determination of pesticide residues in produce. Journal of AOAC International, 86(2), 412–431.Google Scholar
- DG-SANCO (2009) European Commission Document No. SANCO/10684/2009Google Scholar
- Europe Commission (2013) EU pesticides database. http://ec.europa.eu/sanco_pesticides/public/index.cfm. Accessed 29 Aug 2013
- Gardenmo.net (2011) Retrieved from: http://www.gardenmo.net/vegetable-garden-2/decontamination-of-pesticide-residues-on-fruits-and-vegetables.html. (Accessed on: 28 Jan 2011)
- Hoskin, W. M. (1961). Mathematical treatment of the rate of loss of pesticide residues. FAO Plant Protection Bulletin, 9, 163–168.Google Scholar