Assessing the suitability of stream water for five different uses and its aquatic environment
- 330 Downloads
Surface water is one of the essential resources for supporting sustainable development. The suitability of such water for a given use depends both on the available quantity and tolerable quality. Temporary status for a surface water quality has been identified extensively. Still the suitability of the water for different purposes needs to be verified. This study proposes a water quality evaluation system to assess the aptitude of the Selangor River water for aquatic biota, drinking water production, leisure and aquatic sport, irrigation use, livestock watering, and aquaculture use. Aptitude of the water has been classified in many parts of the river segment as unsuitable for aquatic biota, drinking water production, leisure and aquatic sport as well as aquaculture use. The water quality aptitude classes of the stream water for nine locations along the river are evaluated to contribute to decision support system. The suitability of the water for five different uses and its aquatic ecosystem are verified.
KeywordsAggregation method Stream water Water quality aptitude Water quality evaluation system Water use
This paper used the data of river water quality monitored by the Sungai Harmoni Sdn. Bhd. (local water company) in 2007 and compiled by the student of Universiti Tun Hussein Onn Malaysia during the case study session in 2008. Data and information provided by the respected institutions are greatly appreciated.
- Aly, S., & Vrana, I. (2008). Evaluating the knowledge, relevance and experience of expert decision makers utilizing the Fuzzy-AHP. Agricultural Economics, 2008(2), 529–535.Google Scholar
- Department of Environment (DOE). (2003). Water Quality Management in Malaysia. Kuala Lumpur: DOE Documents.Google Scholar
- Department of Irrigation and Drainage (DID). (2007). Selangor River Basin Management Plan 2007–2012. Kuala Lumpur: DID publications.Google Scholar
- Fulazzaky, M. A., & Hadimuljono, M. H. (2010). Evaluation of the suitability of Citarum River water for different uses. Yogyakarta: The 61st International Executive Council Meeting and 6th Asian Regional Conference.Google Scholar
- Fulazzaky, M. A., & Sutardi (2008). Integrated water resources management in view of environmental sustainability aspects. Batu Pahat: Penerbit UTHM.Google Scholar
- Oudin, L.C., Meybeck, M., & Roussel, P. (1999). Système d’évaluation de la qualité de l’eau des cours d’eau. Rapport de presentation SEQ-Eau (version 1), France: Agence de l’eau Loire-Bretagne.Google Scholar
- Sari, I., & Wan Omar, W. M. (2008). Assessing the Water Quality Index of Air Itam Dam. Penang: International Conference on Environmental Research and Technology.Google Scholar