Impacts on seafloor geology of drilling disturbance in shallow waters
- 103 Downloads
This paper describes the effects of drilling disturbance on the seafloor of the upper continental slope of the Campos Basin, Brazil, as a result of the project Environmental Monitoring of Offshore Drilling for Petroleum Exploration – MAPEM. Field sampling was carried out surrounding wells, operated by the company PETROBRAS, to compare sediment properties of the seafloor, including grain-size distribution, total organic carbon, and clay mineral composition, prior to drilling with samples obtained 3 and 22 months after drilling. The sampling grid used had 74 stations, 68 of which were located along 7 radials from the well up to a distance of 500 m. The other 6 stations were used as reference, and were located 2,500 m from the well. The results show no significant sedimentological variation in the area affected by drilling activity. The observed sedimentological changes include a fining of grain size, increase in total organic carbon, an increase in gibbsite, illite, and smectite, and a decrease in kaolinite after drilling took place.
KeywordsGeological data collections Offshore exploration Environmental monitoring Campos Basin Brazil
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Castro, B. (2003). O mar costeiro do Brasil. Scientific American Brasil, 12, 33–36.Google Scholar
- Corrêa, I. C. S., Toldo, Jr., E. E., & Toledo, F. A. (2006). Geology. In R. N. Ayup Zouain & E. E. Toldo Jr. (Eds.), Shallow water model of environmental monitoring of offshore drilling for petroleum exploration, MAPEM Project. CECO-IG-UFRGS. Brazil. CD-ROM.Google Scholar
- Folk, R. L., & Ward, W. C. (1957). Brazos river bar: A study in the significance of grain size parameters. Journal of Sedimentary Petrology, 27, 3–27.Google Scholar
- Silveira, I. C. A., Schmidt, A. C. K., Campos, E. J. D., Godoy, S. S., & Ikeda, Y. (2000). A corrente do Brasil ao largo da costa leste brasileira. Brazilian Journal of Oceanography, 48(2), 171–183.Google Scholar
- Toledo, F. A., Ayup Zouain, R. N., & Toldo Jr., E. E. (2004). Field sampling manual. In R. N. Ayup Zouain & E. E. Toldo Jr. (Eds.), Deep water model of environmental monitoring of offshore drilling for petroleum exploration (p. 174). MAPEM Project. CECO-IG-UFRGS. Brazil. CD-ROM.Google Scholar