Impact assessment of subsurface drainage on waterlogged and saline lands
- 202 Downloads
Waterlogging and salinity due to seepage from canals have polluted land and environment in various parts of Pakistan. A sustainable environment requires urgent remedial measures for this problem. The research in this paper presents the impacts of the Fourth Drainage Project, Faisalabad on the twin problem of waterlogging and salinity. Monitoring of the project was made on regular basis. The key performance indicators for the project include the lowering of water table, improvement of water quality and soil salinity, increase in area under cultivation, cropping intensity, and socioeconomic status of the project population. Data regarding water levels and discharge from the drain pipes were collected to monitor the impact on waterlogging. Soil samples were tested to evaluate the impact of drainage on land. It has been found that the percentage of the contaminated land in the project area has considerably been decreased, while the cropping intensities have been increased.
KeywordsCropping intensity Impact Pakistan Soil Salinity Subsurface
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Azhar, A. H., Khan, M. N., & Rafiq, M. (2006). Investigations for causes of waterlogging & remedial measures along C-J link canal. IWASRI, Internal Report # 2006/04. Lahore, Pakistan: WAPDA.Google Scholar
- Azhar, A. H., Sufi, A. B., & Rafiq, M. (2003). Impact of drainage systems on land and water. IWASRI, Internal Report # 2003/05. Lahore, Pakistan: WAPDA.Google Scholar
- Bhutta, M. N., Alam, M. M., & Ahmad, S. (2001). Comparative effectiveness of anti-waterlogging measures adopted in Pakistan. In Proc. 2nd national seminar on “Drainage in Pakistan” (pp. 25–35). Agri. Univ. Faisalabad, Pakistan.Google Scholar
- Cavelaars, J. C., Vlotmanm, W. F., & Spoor, G. (1994). Subsurface drainage system, drainage principles and applications. LRI Wageningen, The Netherlands: ILRI Publications.Google Scholar
- Niazi, M. F. K. (2008). Evaluating the impact of subsurface drainage on land and water. Ph.D. thesis, University of Engineering and technology, Taxila, Pakistan.Google Scholar
- Tchobanoglous, G., Burton, F. L., Stensel, D. H., & Metcalf and Eddy Inc. (2003). Wastewater engineering: Treatment and reuse. New York: McGraw-Hill.Google Scholar
- WAPDA (2005). Drainage master plan report jointly prepared by Planning Division (Water), WAPDA, SMP-IWARSI, and published by WAPDA in 2005.Google Scholar
- WAPDA (2006). Completed studies of International Water-logging and Salinity Research Institute (IWARSI) Internal Report No. 2006/01. Lahore, Pakistan: WAPDA.Google Scholar