Analysing and mapping spatial and temporal dynamics of urban traffic noise pollution: a case study in Kahramanmaraş, Turkey
- 548 Downloads
This study aimed at quantifying noise pollution from urban traffic in the city of Kahramanmaraş, Turkey. A total of 114 measurements for the equivalent noise level (L Aeq) were made at 38 urban locations classified as “residential areas”, “residential and commercial areas” and “industrial areas” according to the national regulations, during morning, mid-day and evening hours. Our findings tabulated and mapped revealed that mean noise level in “residential and commercial areas” was highest relative to the other land-use types. Minimum and maximum values of noise pollution were recorded during the mid-day and evening hours, regardless of the land-use types. Noise limit values were exceeded at two locations only out of 38 based on the national regulation criteria and at over half of the locations based on the international criteria.
KeywordsKahramanmaraş Noise map Noise pollution Traffic noise Urban traffic
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anonymous (2004a). Kahramanmaras urban population between the years 1950 and 2000. Results of general census 2000, Turkish Republic State Institute of Statistics, Ankara.Google Scholar
- Anonymous (2004b). Environment report of Kahramanmaras: 2003. Kahramanmaras Governorship, The Directorate of Environment and Forestry, Kahramanmaras.Google Scholar
- Anonymous (2005). Regulation of assessment and management of environmental noise. Official Journal No.: 25862, Date: 01 July 2005. Retrieved from http://rega.basbakanlik.gov.tr.
- Anonymous (2006). Number of motor vehicles in K.Maraş between the years 1996 and 2004. Turkish Republic Institute of Statistics, Ankara.Google Scholar
- Berglund, B., Lindvall, T., & Schwela, D. H. (Eds.) (1999). Guidelines for community noise. Geneva: World Health Organization.Google Scholar
- Doygun, H., & Alphan, H. (2005). Short-term land use changes in Kahramanmaraş urban area Paper presented at the International Congress on Information Technology in Agriculture, Food and Environment, Adana, Turkey, October.Google Scholar
- EEA (European Environment Agency) (1999). Environment in the European Union at the turn of the century. Copenhagen, Denmark: European Environment Agency.Google Scholar
- Stanners, D., & Bourdeau, P. (Eds.) (1995). Europe’s environment - the Dobris assessment. European Environment Agency.Google Scholar
- TSI (Turkish Standards Institution) (1992). Acoustics – Description and Measurement of Environmental Noise Part 2-Acquisition of Data Pertinent to Land Use, TS 9798 (ISO 1996–2:1987). Turkish Standards Institution.Google Scholar
- TSI (Turkish Standards Institution) (2005). Acoustics – Description, Measurement and Assessment of Environmental Noise - Part 1: Basic Quantities and Assessment Procedures, TS 9315 (ISO 1996–1:2003), Turkish Standards Institution.Google Scholar