Surface Water Quality Assessment by Environmetric Methods
- 308 Downloads
This environmetric study deals with the interpretation of river water monitoring data from the basin of the Buyuk Menderes River and its tributaries in Turkey. Eleven variables were measured to estimate water quality at 17 sampling sites. Factor analysis was applied to explain the correlations between the observations in terms of underlying factors. Results revealed that, water quality was strongly affected from agricultural uses. Cluster analysis was used to classify stations with similar properties and results distinguished three groups of stations. Water quality at downstream of the river was quite different from the other part. It is recommended to involve the environmetric data treatment as a substantial procedure in assessment of water quality data.
KeywordsBuyuk Menderes River Cluster analysis Factor analysis Factor-loading matrix Water quality
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ahmed, S., Hussain, M., & Abderrahman, W. (2005). Using multivariate factor analysis to assess surface/logged water quality and source of contamination at a large irrigation project at Al-Fadhli, Eastern Province, Saudi Arabia. Bulletin of Engineering Geology and the Environment, 64, 232–315.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Boyacioglu, H. (2006). Surface water quality assessment using factor analysis. Water SA (in press).Google Scholar
- Boyacioglu, H., Boyacioglu, H., & Gunduz, O. (2004). Application of factor analysis in the assessment of surface water quality in Buyuk Menderes River Basin. Proc. EWRA Symp. on Water Resources Management Risks and Challenges for the 21st Century 2.Google Scholar
- DeCoster, J. (1998). Overview of factor analysis. Retrieved May 24 2006 from http://www.stat-help.com/notes.html.
- Jain, A. K., Murty, M. N, & Flynn P. J. (1999). Data clustering: A review. ACM Computing Surveys, Vol. 31, no. 3. Retrieved May 26 2006 from http://kilana.unibe.ch:8080/SCG/uploads/596/p264-jain.pdf.
- Lindeman, M. A. (2004). Exploring the effects of urban and agricultural land use on surface water quality. 2004 Denver annual meeting. Paper no. 72–9. Geological Society of America abstracts with programs. 36, 184.Google Scholar
- Mcgarial, K., Cushman, S., & Stafford, S. (2000). Multivariate statistics for wildlife & ecology research. Springer, Berlin Heidelberg New York.Google Scholar
- Saffran, K. (2001). Canadian water quality guidelines for the protection of aquatic life, CCME water quality Index 1,0, User`s manual. Excerpt from Publication no.1299, ISBN 1-896997-34-1.Google Scholar
- SPSS-10 (2000). Statistical Package for the Social Sciences. SPSS, Chicago, USA.Google Scholar