Recovery of an estuary in the southwest coast of India from tsunami impacts
Water quality in the Cochin Estuary, southwest coast of India during the tsunami attack was assessed and compared with the pre and post tsunami characteristics. From the results obtained, it is evident that a drastic change in hydrography has been inflicted by the energy transferred through the tsunami, which disturbed the entire estuarine embayment. However, the post tsunami water quality showed normal levels indicating that the region has recovered from the tsunami impacts.
KeywordsCochin Estuary Southwest coast of India Tsunami impacts Water quality
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Balacndran, K.K. (2001). Chemical oceanic studies of the coastal waters of Cochin, Ph.D. Thesis (unpublished), Cochin University of Science and Technology, 250.Google Scholar
- Dinesh Kumar, P.K., Sankaranarayanan, V.N., & Saraladevi, K. (1994). Cochin backwaters: An introduction to the system, prior studies, Historical trends and future implications. Journal of Environmental Protection, 14(2), 98–102.Google Scholar
- Haridas, P., Madhupradhap, M., & Rao, T.S.S. (1973). Salinity, Temperature, Oxygen and Zooplankton biomass of the backwaters from Cochin to Alleppey. Indian Journal of Marine Sciences, 2, 94–102.Google Scholar
- Grasshoff, K., Ehrhardt, M., & Kremling, K. (eds) (1983). 2nd edn., Method of seawater analysis, (p.419) Weinheim; Deerfeild Beach, Florida Basel, Vorlagchemie.Google Scholar
- Qasim, S.Z., & Madhupradhap, M. (1979). Changing ecology of Cochin Backwater. Contribution to Marine Science, 137–142.Google Scholar
- Reddy, H.R.V., Katti, R.J., Raveesha, K.P., Vikas, S.J., & Nagendra babu, K.S. (2005). Coastal water quality off Dakshina Kannada before and after tsunami. Current Science, 88 (7), 1029–1027.Google Scholar
- Sankaranarayan, V.N., Udaya Varma, P., & Balachandran, K.K. (1986). Estuarine characteristics of the lower reaches of the river Periyar (Cochin backwaters). Indian Journal of Marine Sciences, 15(3), 45–48.Google Scholar
- Sarala Devi, K., Venogopal, P., Remani, N., Lalitha, S., & Unnithan, R.V. (1979). Hydrographic features and water quality of Cochin backwaters in relation to industrial pollution. Indian Journal of Marine Sciences, 8, 141–145.Google Scholar
- Sarala Devi, K., Venogopal, P., Remani, N., Dominic, Z., & Unnithan, R.V. (1983). Nutrients in some estuaries of Kerala, Mahasagar-Bulletin of National Institute of Oceanography, 16(2), 161–173.Google Scholar
- Saraladevi, K., Jayalakshmi, K.V., & Venugopal, P. (1991). Distribution of nutrients in Periyar river estuary. Indian Journal of Marine Sciences. 20(4), 141–145.Google Scholar