Variability in Voc Concentrations in an Urban Area of Delhi
- 131 Downloads
The variability of pollutants is an important factor in determining human exposure to the chemicals. This study presents the result of investigation of variability of Volatile organic compounds (VOCs) in urban area of Delhi, capital of India. Fifteen locations, in five categories namely residential, commercial, industrial, traffic intersections and petrol pump were monitored for one year every month during peak hours in morning and evening. Measurement focused on target VOCs as defined by USEPA. Variability was divided into measurement, spatial, temporal and temporal–spatial interaction components. Temporal component along with temporal–spatial interaction were found to be the major contributors to the variability of measured VOC concentrations. Need of continuous monitoring to capture short–term peak concentration and averages is evident.
KeywordVOC variability ambient air urban Delhi
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Derwent, R. G.: 1995, Environ. Sci. Technol. 4, 1–15Google Scholar
- Duce, R. A., Mohnen, V. A., Zimmerman, P. R., Grosjean, D., Cautreels, W. J., Chatfield, R., Jaenicke, R., Ogren, J. A., Pellizzari, E. D. and Wallace, G. T.: 1983, Rev. Geophys. Space Phys. 21, 921–952.Google Scholar
- Fujita, E. M. and Lu, Z.: 1998a, Prepared for ENSR Corporation, Camarillo, CA, Desert Research Institute, Reno NV.Google Scholar
- Fujita, E. M. and Lu, Z.: 1998b, Prepared for Coordinating Research Council, Atlanta, GA, Desert Research Institute, Reno, NV.Google Scholar
- Hunt, W. F. Jr., Faoro, R. B. and Treas, W.: 1998, Report on the Interim Database for State and Local Air Toxic Volatile Organic Chemical Measurements. EPA-450/4-86-012, US Environmental Protection Agency Research Triangle Park, North Carolina.Google Scholar
- Kostianen, R.: 1995, Atmos. Environ. 29(6), 696–702.Google Scholar
- Netter, J. and Wasserman, W.: 1974, Applied Linear Statistical Models, Richard D. Irwin, Homewood, pp. 842.Google Scholar
- Pleil, J. D., McClenny, W. A., Holdern, M. W., Pollack, J. A. and Oliver, K. D.: 1993, Atmos. Environ. 27A, 739–747.Google Scholar
- Scheff, P. A., Wadden, R. A., Kenski, D. M., Chung, J. and Wolff, G.: 1996, JAWMA 46, 1048–1057.Google Scholar
- Singh, H. B., Salas, L. J., Sites, R. and Shigeishi, H.: 1983, Measurement of Hazardous Organic Chemicals in the Ambient Atmosphere. EPA-600/3-83-002, US Environmental Protection Agency, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina.Google Scholar
- Staten Island Report: 1997, Staten Island /New Jersey Urban Air Toxic Assessment Project Report, Vol. I Summary. EPA/902/R-93-001a, US Environmental Protection Agency Research Triangle Park, North Carolina.Google Scholar