Capsid protein sequence gene analysis of Apple mosaic virus infecting pears
- 157 Downloads
Apple mosaic virus (ApMV, genus Ilarvirus) was detected in pears, a previously non-reported virus host. No symptoms were visible on the host’s leaves. Seventeen out of 22 randomly selected pear trees in Italy (Lombardy) and in three regions in the Czech Republic were ApMV-infected. All nine newly sequenced ApMV isolates from pears had a 15-nucleotide insertion in the capsid protein gene in identical position of that of apple isolates compared with isolates from hop and prunes. The insertion is the most prominent (but not essential) modification of the capsid protein gene, which results in a phylogenetic separation of ApMV isolates into three clusters. Sequence analysis data of an additional 15 isolates revealed a sequence correlation with kernelled fruit trees (apple and pear).
KeywordsIlarvirus pear host phylogeny sequence correlation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Alrefai, RH, Shiel, PJ, Domier, LL, D’Arcy, CJ, Berger PH, , Korban, SS 1994The nucleotide sequence of apple mosaic virus coat protein gene has no similarity with other Bromoviridae coat protein genesJournal of General Virology7528472850Google Scholar
- Bradford, FC, Joly, L 1933Infectious variegation in the appleJournal of Agricultural Research46901908Google Scholar
- Brunt AA, Crabtree K, Dallwitz MJ, Gibbs AJ, Watson L and Zurcher EJ (eds) (1996 onwards). ‘Plant Viruses Online: Descriptions and Lists from the VIDE Database. Version: 20th August 1996. URL http://biology.anu.edu.au/Groups/MES/vide/.Google Scholar
- Crop Protection Compendium (2003) CAB International 2003,Wallingford, Oxon, UK.Google Scholar
- Crowle, DR, Pethybridge, SJ, Leggett, GW, Sherriff, LJ, Wilson, CR 2003Diversity of the coat protein-coding region among Ilarvirus isolates infecting hop in AustraliaPlant Pathology52655662Google Scholar
- Dhingra, KL 1972Transmission of apple mosaic by natural root graftingIndian Journal of Horticulture29348350Google Scholar
- Felsenstein, J 1993PHYLIP (Phylogeny Inference Package) version 3.5.c. Distributed by the author.Department of Genetics.University of WashingtonSeattle ,USAGoogle Scholar
- Hunter, JA, Chamberlain, EE, Atkinson, JD 1958Note on the transmission of apple mosaic by natural root graftingNew Zealand Journal of Agricultural Research18082Google Scholar
- Kristensen, HR, Thomsen, A 1963Apple mosaic virus – Host plants and strainsPhytopathologia Mediterranea297102Google Scholar
- Shiel, PJ, Alrefai, RH, Domier, LL, Korban, SS, Berger, PH 1995The complete nucleotide sequence of apple mosaic virus RNA-3Archives of Virology14712471256Google Scholar