Molecular analysis suggests that recent Citrus tristeza virus outbreaks in Italy were originated by at least two independent introductions
- 122 Downloads
Citrus tristeza virus (CTV) is the causal agent of the most important virus disease of citrus. Numerous CTV isolates differing in biological and molecular characteristics have been reported worldwide. Recently, CTV was detected in Italy in several citrus crops from three separate areas: (1) Cassibile, province of Syracuse; (2) Massafra, province of Taranto; and (3) Belpasso, province of Catania. CTV isolates from Massafra and Cassibile were mild, whereas isolates from Belpasso induced severe symptoms. To study the genetic variation of CTV populations of these areas, 150 samples per area were examined by single strand conformation polymorphism (SSCP) and nucleotide sequence analysis of CTV gene p20. All isolates from the same area showed the same SSCP pattern whereas for each area a different SSCP pattern was obtained. The Massafra and the Cassibile isolates had a nucleotide identity higher than 99% with a mild isolate from Spain and about 92% with the Belpasso isolates, which were similar (identity higher than 99%) to severe isolates from California and Japan. These results suggest at least two independent introductions of CTV in Italy, probably by import of CTV-infected budwoods. Within each area, the virus population was homogeneous suggesting diffusion of CTV by aphid transmission.
Keywordsphylogenetic analysis SSCP
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Albiach-Martí, MR, Mawassi, M, Gowda, S, Satyanarayana, T, Hilf, ME, Shanker, S, Almira, EC, Vives, MC, López, C, Guerri, J, Flores, R, Moreno, P, Garnsey, SM, Dawson, WO 2000Sequences of Citrus Tristeza Virus Separated in Time and Space Are Essentially IdenticalJournal of Virology7468566865PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Davino, S, Davino, M, Sambade, A, Guardo, M, Caruso, A 2003aThe first citrus tristeza virus outbreak found in a relevant citrus producing area of Sicily, ItalyPlant Disease87314Google Scholar
- Davino, S, Guardo, M, Sorrentino, G, Sambade, A, Caruso, A, Davino, M 2003bIl virus della “tristeza” degli agrumi su arancio dolce in Sicilia: grave minaccia per l’agrumicoltura italianaInformatore Fitopatologico534852Google Scholar
- Febres, VJ, Ashoulin, L, Mawassi, M, Frank, A, Bar-Joseph, M, Manjunath, KL, Lee, RF, Niblett, CL 1996The p27 protein is present at one end of citrus tristeza particlesPhytopathology8613311335Google Scholar
- Kumar, S, Tamura, K, Jakobsen, I B, Nei, M 2001MEGA 2: Molecular Evolutionary Genetics Analysis softwareArizona State UniversityArizona, USAGoogle Scholar
- Pappu, HR, Karasev, AV, Anderson, EJ, Pappu, SS, Hilf, ME, Febres, VJ, Eckloff, RMG, McCaffery, M, Boyko, V, Gowda, S, Dolja, VV, Koonin, EV, Gumpf, DJ, Cline, KC, Garnsey, SM, Dawson, WO, Lee, RF, Niblett, CL 1994Nucleotide sequence and organization of eight open reading frames of the Citrus tristeza closterovirus genomeVirology1993546PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Roistacher, RN, Moreno, P 1991The worldwide threat from destructive isolates of citrus tristeza virus - a reviewBrlansky, RHLee, RFTimmer, LW eds. Proceedings of the 11th Conference of the International Organization of Citrus VirologistsUniversity of CaliforniaRiverside719Google Scholar
- Rubio, L, Abou-Jawdah, Y, Lin, HX, Falk, BW 2001aGeographically distant isolates of the crinivirus Cucurbit yellow stunting disorder virus show very low genetic diversity in the coat protein gene.Journal of General Virology82929933Google Scholar
- Rubio, L, Ayllón, MA, Kong, P, Fernández, A, Polek, M, Guerri, J, Moreno, P, Falk, BW 2001bGenetic variation of Citrus tristeza virus isolates from California and Spain: evidence for mixed infections and recombinationJournal of Virology7580548062Google Scholar
- Sambade, A, Lopez, C, Rubio, L, Flores, R, Guerri, J, Moreno, P 2003Polymorphism of a specific region in gene p23 of Citrus tristeza virus allows discrimination between mild and severe isolatesArchives of Virology,14823252340Google Scholar
- Vives, MC, Rubio, L, Lopez, C, Navas-Castillo, J, Albiach-Martí, MR, Dawson, WO, Guerri, J, Flores, R, Moreno, P 1999The complete genome sequence of the major component of a mild Citrus tristeza isolateJournal General Virology80811816Google Scholar