Should competition policy in banking be amended during crises? Lessons from the EU
- 1k Downloads
This article investigates the nexus of competition and stability in European banking. It analyzes the European legal framework for competition policy in banking and several cases that pertain to anti-cartel policy, merger policy, and state-aid control. It discusses whether and how competition policy should be amended in order to preserve the stability of the banking system during crises. The article argues for increased cooperation between prudential regulators and competition authorities, as well as an enhanced framework for bank regulation, supervision, and resolution that could mitigate the need to change competition policy in crisis times.
KeywordsBanking Competition policy Financial crisis
JEL ClassificationG21 G28 L40
Special thanks to Arnoud Boot, Iwan Bos, Igor Lončarski, Maarten Pieter Schinkel, Razvan Vlahu, and an anonymous referee for their invaluable comments. Usual caveats apply.
- Beck, T. (2010). Bank Competition and Financial Stability: A Fresh Look after the Crisis, Prepared for OECD Roundtable on Competition, Concentration and Stability in the Banking Sector, DAF/COMP 9, 267–276.Google Scholar
- Beck, T., Coyle, D., Dewatripont, M., Freixas, X., & Seabright, P. (2010). Bailing out the banks: Reconciling stability and competition. London: CEPR.Google Scholar
- Beck, T., De Jonghe, O., & G. Schepens (2013). Bank competition and stability: Cross-country heterogeneity. Journal of Financial Intermediation, 22(2), 218–244.Google Scholar
- Bernanke, B. S. (2010). Preserving a central role for community banking, speech at the independent community. Orlando, Florida: Bankers of America National Convention.Google Scholar
- Bliss, R. R., & Kaufman, G. G. (2011). Resolving insolvent large complex financial institutions: A better way. Banking Law Journal, 128(4), 339–363.Google Scholar
- Boot, A. W. A., & Marinč, M. (2009). Competition and entry in banking: Implications for capital regulation, ACLE Working Paper.Google Scholar
- Carletti, E. (2009). Competition and Financial Markets, in OECD, The Failing Firm Defence, Policy Roundtables: Competition Law and Policy. Google Scholar
- Carletti, E. P., Hartmann, & Ongena, S. (2009). The Economic Impact of Merger Control Legislation, Working paper.Google Scholar
- Cheng, X., & Van Cayseele, P. (2009). State aid and competition in banking: The case of China in the Late Nineties, LICOS Discussion Paper 250/2009, November 2009.Google Scholar
- de Moor, A. J. C., du Perron, C. E., & Krop P. J. (2009). De bevoegdheden van De Nederlandsche Bank inzake Icesave, Ordered by the Ministry of Finance in The Netherlands, 11 June 2009. http://www.minfin.nl/dsresource?objectid=71520&type=org.
- Dinç, S. I., & Erel, I. (2010). Economic Nationalism in Mergers and Acquisitions. June: Working paper. 28.Google Scholar
- European Central Bank (2006). EU Banking Structures.Google Scholar
- European Central Bank (2008). EU Banking Structures.Google Scholar
- European Central Bank (2010). EU Banking Structures.Google Scholar
- European Central Bank (2012). Cross-Border Positions, Monetary Statistics, http://www.ecb.int/stats/money/aggregates/cross/html/index.en.html.
- European Commission (2007). Communication from the commission: Sector Inquiry under Article 17 of Regulation (EC) No 1/2003 on retail banking (Final Report), Brussels, 31 January 2007, COM(2007) 33 final.Google Scholar
- European Commission (2008). The Application of State Aid Rules to Measures Taken in Relation to Financial Institutions in the Context of the Current Global Financial Crisis, OJ, C 270/02, 25.10.2008.Google Scholar
- European Commission (2009a). The Recapitalisation of Financial Institutions in the Current Financial Crisis: Limitation of Aid to the Minimum Necessary and Safeguards against Undue Distortions of Competition, OJ, C 10/03, 15.1.2009.Google Scholar
- European Commission (2009b). The Treatment of Impaired Assets in the Community Banking Sector, OJ, C 72/01, 26.3.2009.Google Scholar
- European Commission (2009c). Temporary Community Framework for State Aid Measures to Support Access to Finance in the Current Financial and Economic Crisis, OJ, C 83/01, 7.4.2009.Google Scholar
- European Commission (2009d). The Return to Viability and the Assessment of Restructuring Measures in the Financial Sector in the Current Crisis under the State Aid Rules, OJ, C 195/04, 19.8.2009.Google Scholar
- European Commission (2009e). State aid No. N 428/2009—United Kingdom—Restructuring of Lloyds Banking Group, Brussels, 18.11.2009, C(2009)9087 final.Google Scholar
- European Commission (2010a). On the Application, from 1 January 2011, of State Aid Rules to Support Measures in Favour of Banks in the Context of the Financial Crisis, OJ, C 329/07, 7.12.2010.Google Scholar
- European Commission (2010b). Facts and Figures on State Aid in the Member States, Commission Staff Working Document SEC (2010)1462, Brussels, 1 December.Google Scholar
- European Commission (2010c). EU Competition Law, Rules Applicable to Merger Control, Situation as at 1 April 2010. http://ec.europa.eu/competition/mergers/legislation/merger_compilation.pdf.
- European Commission (2011a). Communication from the Commission on the Application, from 1 January 2012, of State Aid Rules to Support Measures in Favour of Banks in the Context of the Financial Crisis, OJ C 356, 6.12.2011, p. 7–10.Google Scholar
- European Commission (2011b). EU Competition Law, Rules Applicable to Antitrust Enforcement, Situation as at 1.12.2011, http://ec.europa.eu/competition/antitrust/legislation/handbook_vol_1.pdf.
- European Commission (2012a). State aid: Overview of decisions and on-going in-depth investigations in the context of the financial crisis, 20 December 2012, MEMO/12/1018.Google Scholar
- European Commission (2012b). EU Competition Law, Rules Applicable to State Aid, Situation at Oct. 2012. http://ec.europa.eu/competition/state_aid/legislation/compilation/state_aid_02_10_12_en.pdf.
- European Commission (2012c). Commission Staff Working Paper Accompanying the Report From the Commission on Competition Policy 2011, 30.5.2012, COM(2012) 253 final.Google Scholar
- Fingleton, J. (2009). Competition Policy in Troubled Times, Working paper, 20 Jan 2009, Available at www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/speeches/2009/spe0109.pdf.
- Gerard, D. M. B. (2008). Protectionist threats against cross-border mergers: Unexplored avenues to strengthen the effectiveness of article 21 ECMR. Common Market Law Review, 45(4), 987–1026.Google Scholar
- Greenspan, A. (2011). Dodd-Frank Fails to Meet Test of Our Times, Financial Times, March 29, 2011.Google Scholar
- Gropp, R., Hakenes, H., & Schnabel, I. (2010). Competition, Risk-shifting, and Public Bail-out Policies, Review of Financial Studies, forthcoming.Google Scholar
- Independent Commission on Banking (2011). Interim report: Consultation on reform options, April 2011, London.Google Scholar
- Jiménez, G., Lopez, J. A. & Saurina Salas, J. (2010). How does competition impact bank risk-taking?, Banco de Espana Working Paper No. 1005.Google Scholar
- Keeley, M. C. (1990). Deposit insurance risk, and market power in banking. American Economic Review, 80(5), 1183–1200.Google Scholar
- Kroes, N. (2010). Competition Policy and the Crisis—the Commission’s Approach to Banking and Beyond. Competition Policy Newsletter, 1, 3–7.Google Scholar
- Lannoo, K., Napoli, C., & Sutton, A. (2010). Centre for European Policy Studies, Bank State Aid in the Financial Crisis: Fragmentation or Level Playing Field?, CEPS Task Force Report, October, 2010. Brussels: CEPS.Google Scholar
- Maes, S., & Kiljanski, K. (2009). Competition and the financial markets: Financial sector conditions and competition policy. Competition Policy Newsletter, 1, 12–16.Google Scholar
- Marinč, M., & Razvan, V. (2012). The Economics of Bank Bankruptcy Law, Springer.Google Scholar
- Marinč, M. (2013). Banks and information technology: Marketability vs. relationships. Electronic Commerce Research, 13(1), 71–101.Google Scholar
- Mulder, M., & Lengton, M. (2011). Competition and Interest Rates in the Dutch Mortgage Market, NMA Working Paper No. 5.Google Scholar
- OECD (2009). The Failing Firm Defence, Policy Roundtables: Competition Law & Policy, http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/16/27/45810821.pdf.
- OECD (2010). Competition, Concentration and Stability in the Banking Sector, Policy Roundtables: Competition Law & Policy. Google Scholar
- OECD (2011). Crisis Cartels, Policy Roundtables, Competition Law & Policy, http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/26/61/48948847.pdf.
- Office of Fair Trading (2008). Anticipated acquisition by Lloyds TSB plc of HBOS plc, Report to the Secretary of State for Business Enterprise and Regulatory Reform, 24 Oct 2008.Google Scholar
- Reynolds, M., Macrory, S., & Chowdhury, M. (2011). EU competition policy in the financial crisis: Extraordinary measures. Fordham International Law Journal, 33(6), 1668–1737.Google Scholar
- Schaeck, K., & Čihák, M. (2010). Banking competition and capital ratios. Forthcoming: European Financial Management.Google Scholar
- Smith, L. (2008). The Lloyds-TSB and HBOS Merger: Competition Issues, Standard Note: SN/BT/4907, Business and Transport Section, 15 Decemb 2008.Google Scholar
- Vickers, J. (2008). The financial crisis and competition policy: Some economics. Global Competition Policy, 1, 1–10.Google Scholar
- Vives, X. (2010). Competition and Stability in Banking, CESifo Working Paper Series 3050, CESifo Group Munich.Google Scholar
- White, L. J. (2009). Financial Regulation and the Current Crisis: A Guide for the Antitrust Community, Working paper.Google Scholar