The association between birthplace in different regions of the world and cardiovascular mortality among residents of Spain
- 130 Downloads
The objective of this study is to estimate the association of birthplace with mortality from cardiovascular diseases in residents of Spain by analysing immigrant populations that are unlikely to have adopted health-related attitudes and behaviours of the host country. Data from the population register and cause of death register were used for the period 2001–2005. The study included people aged 20–64 years. Age-adjusted mortality from cardiovascular diseases—and from ischaemic heart disease, cerebrovascular disease and hypertension-related disease—according to birthplace were estimated and compared with those for the native Spanish population by mortality rate ratios. Compared with the native Spanish population, residents who came from Eastern Europe, Sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia had a higher risk of mortality from most of the cardiovascular diseases analysed. Women from North Africa and the Caribbean also had a higher risk of cardiovascular mortality. A higher risk of mortality from ischemic heart disease was observed in persons from the Middle East, and from cerebrovascular disease in those from Eastern Asia. Compared with the native Spanish population, residents from South America and Eastern Asia had a lower risk of mortality from ischemic heart disease. This pattern of mortality from cardiovascular diseases in residents of Spain who have come from different regions of the world is very similar to the findings of studies in other countries, and probably reflects the burden of disease in the countries of origin.
KeywordsImmigrants Birthplace ischaemic heart disease Cerebrovascular disease Hypertension-related disease Spain
- 3.Maurer JD, Rosenberg HM, Keemer JB. Deaths of hispanic origin, 15 reporting states, 1979–81. National Center for Health Statistics. Vital Health Stat. 1990;20(18).Google Scholar
- 9.Lanzieri G, Corsini V. Population. Luxembourg: European Communities (2006) Available at: http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/cache/ITY_OFFPUB/KS-NK-06-001/EN/KS-NK-06-001-EN.PDF.
- 10.Instituto Nacional de Estadística. EAPS-2005. Economically Active Population Survey http://www.ine.es/en/prodyser/micro_epa.htm.
- 11.Díaz JM, Esteban M (2008) Estudio de Salud de la Ciudad de Madrid [Study of health in the City of Madrid]. Madrid: Instituto de Salud Pública, Ayuntamiento de Madrid. http://www.madridsalud.es/escn.htm.
- 16.World Health Organization/Europe (2006) European Health for all database. Updated June 2006.Google Scholar
- 19.Belahsen R, Mziwira M, Fertat F. Anthropometry of women of chilbearing age in Morocco: body composition and prevalence of overweight and obesity. Public Health Nutr. 2003;7:523–30.Google Scholar
- 22.CDC (2006) Hypertension-related mortality among Hispanic subpopulations–United States, 1995-2002- MMWR 2006;55:177–180.Google Scholar
- 23.Soni Raleigh V. Diabetes and hypertension in Britain’s ethnic minorities: implications for the future of renal services. BMJ. 1997;314:209–13.Google Scholar
- 24.Cappucio FP, Cook DG, Atkinson RW, Strazzullo P. Prevalence, detection, and management of cardiovascular risk factors in south London. Heart. 1997;78:555–63.Google Scholar
- 28.Janet E, Sorel JE, Ragland DR, Leonard Syme S. Blood pressure in mexican Americans, whites, and blacks The second National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey and the Hispanic Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Am J Epidemiol. 1991;134:370–8.Google Scholar
- 32.World Health Organization (2002) Mortality and burden of disease estimates for WHO member states in 2002. Available at: http://www.who.int/healthinfo/statistics/bodgbddeathdalyestimates.xls.
- 33.International Diabetes Federation (2008) Diabetes atlas. Second edition. Available at www.idf.org/e-atlas. Accessed 1 April 2008.
- 38.WHO Mortality Database: http://www.who.int/whosis/database/mort/table1.cfm.
- 40.Ley Orgánica 4/2000, de 11 de enero sobre derechos y libertades de los extranjeros en España y su integración social. http://vlex.com/vid/libertades-extranjeros-integracion-162596.
- 43.Instituto Nacional de Estadística National Immigrant Survey 2007 http://www.ine.es/jaxi/menu.do?type=pcaxis&path=%2Ft20%2Fp319&file=inebase&L=1. Accessed 1 Dec 2008.