Tracing the sources of gaseous components (222Rn, CO2 and its carbon isotopes) in soil air under a cool-deciduous stand in Sapporo, Japan
- 114 Downloads
Radon (222Rn) and carbon dioxide were monitored simultaneously in soil air under a cool-temperate deciduous stand on the campus of Hokkaido University, Sapporo, Japan. Both 222Rn and CO2 concentrations in soil air varied with atmospheric (soil) temperature in three seasons, except for winter when the temperature in soil air remained constant at 2–3°C at depth of 80 cm. In winter, the gaseous components were influenced by low-pressure region passing through the observation site when the ground surface was covered with snow of ~1 m thickness. Carbon isotopic analyses of CO2 suggested that CO2 in soil air may result from mixing of atmospheric air and soil components of different origins, i.e. CO2 from contemporary soil organic matter and old carbon from deeper source, to varying degrees, depending on seasonal meteorological and thus biological conditions.
Keywords222Rn CO2 Carbon isotopes Soil air
The authors appreciate the technical staff of AMS Management Section of the Japan Atomic Energy Agency, Japan for helping with pretreatment of air samples and for conducting carbon isotopic analyses by AMS.
- Darby, S., Hill, D., Auvinen, A., Barros-Dios, J. M., Baysson, H., Bochicchio, F., et al. (2005). Radon in homes and risk of lung cancer: Collaborative analysis of individual data from 13 European case–control studies. British medical journal (Clinical Research Ed.), 330, 223–228. doi: 10.1136/bmj.38308.477650.63.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Fujiyoshi, R., Sakamoto, K., Imanishi, T., Sumiyoshi, T., Sawamura, S., Vaupotic, J., et al. (2006). Meteorological parameters contributing to variability in 222Rn activity concentration I soil gas at a site in Sapporo, Japan. The Science of the Total Environment, 370, 224–234. doi: 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2006.07.007.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Otosaka, S., Amano, H., Kabuto, S., Kinoshita, N., & Tanaka, T. (2008). Quality policy on radiocarbon measurement at the JAEA-Mutsu AMS. Proc. First JAEA Tandem AMS Utilization Workshop 2007, 2008, 21–23.Google Scholar
- Stuiver, M., & Polach, H. A. (1997). Radiocarbon 1997 discussion reporting of 14C data. Radiocarbon, 19(3), 355–363.Google Scholar
- Takagi, K., Nomura, M., Ashiya, D., Takahashi, H., Sasa, K., Fujinuma, Y., et al. (2005). Dynamic carbon dioxide exchange through snowpack by wind-driven mass transfer in a conifer-broadleaf mixed forest in northernmost Japan. Global Biogeochemical Cycles, 19, GB2012. doi: 10.1029/2004GB002272.CrossRefGoogle Scholar