Assessment of toxicity of heavy metal contaminated soils by the toxicity characteristic leaching procedure
- 612 Downloads
The concentrations of Cu, Zn, Pb and Cd in soils near a lead–zinc mine located in Shangyu, Zhejiang Province, China, were determined and their toxicity was assessed using the toxicity characteristic leaching procedure (TCLP) developed by the United States Environmental Protection Agency. The TCLP method is a currently recognized international method for evaluation of heavy metal pollution in soils. The available levels of Cu, Zn, Pb and Cd were 8.2–36, 23–143, 6.4–1367 and 0.41–2.2 mg kg−1, respectively, while the international standards were 15, 25, 5 and 0.5 mg kg−1, respectively. Soils around the mine were more polluted with Zn and Pb, followed by Cd and Cu. Moreover, the levels of heavy metals in the soils extracted by TCLP indicated that extraction fluid 2 was more effective than extraction fluid 1 in extracting the heavy metals from the polluted soils and there was a positive correlation between fluids 1 and 2. Available heavy metal contents determined by TCLP were correlated with soil total heavy metal contents.
Keywordsheavy metals mine tailings risk assessment soil TCLP toxicity testing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This research was financially supported by the Chinese Department of Agriculture and Zhejiang Provincial Ministry of Science and Technology.
- Guy M, Josee D, 2002 A simple and fast screening test to detect soils polluted by lead Environ Poll 18: 285–296Google Scholar
- He YQ, 1995 The problems and measures of environment to abandoned mining Environ world 8: 12–13Google Scholar
- Hu XY, He JZ, Gao YZ, LF, 2002 Soil remediation in mining and control to acid water Protect measure soil environ 3: 135–140Google Scholar
- Nanjing Agriculture University 1986 Agriculture Chemical Analysis of Soil Agriculture Publishing Company Press, BeijingGoogle Scholar
- Ren TZ, 2000 Soil bioindicators in sustainable agriculture Chinese Agric Technol 33(1): 68–75Google Scholar
- Ru RK, 1999 Agriculture Chemical Analysis Methods of Soil Chinese Agriculture Technology Press, BeijingGoogle Scholar
- USEPA. 1992 Method 1311, Toxicity Characteristic Leaching Procedure (TCLP). Publication SW−846: Test Methods for Evaluating Solid Waste, Physical/Chemical Methods. www. epa.gov/epaoswer/hazwaste/test/pdfs/1311.pdfGoogle Scholar
- Wang XL, Xu JM, Xie ZM, 2002 Effect of heavy metal contamination on soil biological indicators of environmental quality J Zhejiang Univ (Agric Life Sci) 28(2): 190–194Google Scholar