Nonparametric circular methods for exploring environmental data
- 523 Downloads
The goal of this work is to introduce nonparametric kernel methods for density and regression estimation for circular data, and illustrate their use by a brief simulation study and real data application. Apart from supplying practitioners with a license free and easy to run code for the use of these methods, our aim is also to provide solutions to practical problems that may be encountered in their application. The real data examples belong to the International Polar Year project, concerned with the environmental change in the polar regions.
KeywordsGlacier Circular data Nonparametric estimation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bowman AW, Azzalini A (1997) Applied smoothing techniques for data snalysis. Oxford Science Publications, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Fan J, Gijbels I (1996) Local polynomial modelling and its applications. Chapman and Hall, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Jammalamadaka SR, SenGupta A (2001) Topics in circular statistics. World Scientific, SingaporeGoogle Scholar
- Mardia KV, Jupp PE (2000) Directional statistics. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- R Development Core Team: (2011) R: A language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, ViennaGoogle Scholar
- Sheather SJ, Jones MC (1991) A reliable data-based bandwidth selection method for kernel density estimation. J R Stat Soc Ser B 53: 683–690Google Scholar
- Silverman BW (1986) Density estimation for statistics and data analysis. Chapman and Hall, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Wand MP, Jones MC (1995) Kernel methods. Chapman and Hall, LondonGoogle Scholar