Body condition of the coral-dwelling fish Dascyllus aruanus (Linnaeus 1758) following host colony bleaching
- 267 Downloads
Coral bleaching and degradation often results in the depletion of abundance of many reef fishes. However, the effects of coral degradation on coral habitat dependent fishes are poorly understood. Hence, in this study we examine the sublethal effects of coral bleaching on the physiological condition of Dascyllus aruanus, an obligate coral-dwelling damselfish. The results of this study showed that fish associated with bleached coral habitat showed similar levels of hepatocyte vacuolation compared to individuals associated with healthy colonies.
KeywordsPhysiological condition Climate change Habitat degradation Sublethal
This study was funded by the ARC Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies. We thank Lizard Island Research Station and Dominique McCowan for field support and Sue Riley for laboratory assistance. Ethics approval A1594.
- Hoey AS, McCormick MI (2006) Effects of subcutaneous fluorescent tags on the growth and survival of a newly settled coral reef fish, Pomacentrus amboiensis (Pomacentridae)Google Scholar
- Munday P, Wilson S (1997) Comparative efficacy of clove oil and other chemicals in anaesthetization of Pomacentrus amboinensis, a coral reef fish. J Fish Biol 51:931–938Google Scholar
- Poloczanska E, Babcock R, Butler A, Hobday A, Hoegh-Guldberg O, Kunz T, Matear R, Milton D, Okey T, Richardson A (2007) Climate change and Australian marine life. Oceanogr Mar Biol Annu Rev 45:407Google Scholar
- Pratchett MS, Munday P, Wilson SK (2008) Effects of climate-induced coral bleaching on coral-reef fishes - ecological and economical consequences. Oceanogr Mar Biol Annu Rev 46:251–296Google Scholar
- Stella JS, Pratchett MS, Hutchings PA, Jones GP (2011) Coral associated invertebrates: diversity, ecological importance and vulnerability to disturbance. Oceanogr Mar Biol Annu Rev 49:41–104Google Scholar
- Theilacker G (1978) Effect of starvation on the histological and morphological characteristics of jack mackerel, Trachurus symmetricus, larvae. Fish Bull 76:403–414Google Scholar
- Wilkinson C (2008) Status of coral reefs of the world: 2008. Global Coral Reef Monitoring Network and Reef and Rainforest Research Centre, TownsvilleGoogle Scholar