Nab-paclitaxel plus gemcitabine versus FOLFIRINOX as the first-line chemotherapy for patients with metastatic pancreatic cancer: retrospective analysis
- 207 Downloads
Purpose nab-paclitaxel plus gemcitabine (AG) and FOLFIRINOX have been established as standard first-line treatment in metastatic pancreatic cancer (mPC). We performed retrospective analysis comparing the efficacies of AG and FOLFIRINOX in daily practice setting. Materials and Methods We analyzed 308 patients who presented initially as mPC and received AG (n = 149) or FOLFIRINOX (n = 159) as first-line treatment between 2013 and 2016. Primary endpoints were progression-free survival (PFS) and overall survival (OS). Result There were no significant differences between the two groups in terms of baseline characteristics, except older age and higher Charlson Comorbidity Index (CCI) score in AG group. The response rates (34% vs 34%) and median PFS (6.8 vs 5.1 months) were comparable between two groups (p = 0.88 and p = 0.19, respectively), while median OS was significantly better with AG than FOLFIRINOX (11.4 vs 9.6 months; p = 0.002). Elevated baseline CA19–9 level and liver metastasis were independent adverse prognostic factors for PFS and OS. In subgroup analyses, PFS with AG was better in patients with age ≥ 65 years, peritoneal metastasis, and higher CCI than that with FOLFIRINOX. Conclusion Both AG and FOLFIRINOX showed comparable efficacy outcomes in daily practice setting. AG might be preferentially considered in patients with peritoneal metastasis, comorbid medical conditions or old age.
KeywordsPancreatic cancer Chemotherapy Metastatic nab-paclitaxel Gemcitabine FOLFIRINOX
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflicts of interest
The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.
All procedures performed in studies involving human participants were in accordance with the ethical standards of the institutional and/or national research committee and with the 1964 Helsinki declaration and its later amendments or comparable ethical standards.
For this type of study, formal consent is not required.
- 1.Global Burden of Disease Cancer Collaboration, Fitzmaurice C, Allen C et al (2017) Global, regional, and National Cancer Incidence, mortality, years of life lost, years lived with disability, and disability-adjusted life-years for 32 Cancer groups, 1990 to 2015. JAMA Oncol 3:524–525. https://doi.org/10.1001/jamaoncol.2016.5688 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Jung K-W, Won Y-J, Oh C-M, Kong HJ, Lee DH, Lee KH, The Community of Population-Based Regional Cancer Registries (2017) Cancer statistics in Korea: incidence, mortality, survival, and prevalence in 2014. Cancer Res Treat 49:292–305. https://doi.org/10.4143/crt.2017.118 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 5.Moore MJ, Goldstein D, Hamm J, Figer A, Hecht JR, Gallinger S, Au HJ, Murawa P, Walde D, Wolff RA, Campos D, Lim R, Ding K, Clark G, Voskoglou-Nomikos T, Ptasynski M, Parulekar W, National Cancer Institute of Canada Clinical Trials Group (2007) Erlotinib plus gemcitabine compared with gemcitabine alone in patients with advanced pancreatic cancer: a phase III trial of the National Cancer Institute of Canada clinical trials group. J Clin Oncol 25:1960–1966. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2006.07.9525 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 6.Conroy T, Desseigne F, Ychou M, Bouché O, Guimbaud R, Bécouarn Y, Adenis A, Raoul JL, Gourgou-Bourgade S, de la Fouchardière C, Bennouna J, Bachet JB, Khemissa-Akouz F, Péré-Vergé D, Delbaldo C, Assenat E, Chauffert B, Michel P, Montoto-Grillot C, Ducreux M, Groupe Tumeurs Digestives of Unicancer, PRODIGE Intergroup (2011) FOLFIRINOX versus gemcitabine for metastatic pancreatic cancer. N Engl J Med 364:1817–1825CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 8.Mahaseth H, Brutcher E, Kauh J, Hawk N, Kim S, Chen Z, Kooby DA, Maithel SK, Landry J, el-Rayes BF (2013) Modified FOLFIRINOX regimen with improved safety and maintained efficacy in pancreatic adenocarcinoma. Pancreas 42:1311–1315. https://doi.org/10.1097/MPA.0b013e31829e2006 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 9.Stein SM, James ES, Deng Y, Cong X, Kortmansky JS, Li J, Staugaard C, Indukala D, Boustani AM, Patel V, Cha CH, Salem RR, Chang B, Hochster HS, Lacy J (2016) Final analysis of a phase II study of modified FOLFIRINOX in locally advanced and metastatic pancreatic cancer. Br J Cancer 114:737–743. https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.2016.45 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 11.Ducreux M, Cuhna AS, Caramella C, Hollebecque A, Burtin P, Goéré D, Seufferlein T, Haustermans K, van Laethem JL, Conroy T, Arnold D (2015) Cancer of the pancreas: ESMO clinical practice guidelines for diagnosis, treatment and follow-up. Ann Oncol 26:v56–v68. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdv295 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 13.Kim BJ, Hyung J, Yoo C, Kim KP, Park SJ, Lee SS, Park DH, Song TJ, Seo DW, Lee SK, Kim MH, Park JH, Cho H, Ryoo BY, Chang HM (2017) Prognostic factors in patients with advanced biliary tract cancer treated with first-line gemcitabine plus cisplatin: retrospective analysis of 740 patients. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 80:209–215. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00280-017-3353-2 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 15.Montes A, Villarroel P, Ayerbes M, Gómez JC, Aldana GQ, Tuñas LV, Fernández MS, Fernández MJ (2017) Prognostic and predictive markers of response to treatment in patients with locally advanced unresectable and metastatic pancreatic adenocarcinoma treated with gemcitabine/nab-paclitaxel: results of a retrospective analysis. J Can Res Ther 13:240–246. https://doi.org/10.4103/0973-1482.181181 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Rombouts SJ, Mungroop TH, Heilmann MN, van Laarhoven H, Busch OR, Molenaar IQ, Besselink MG, Wilmink JW (2016) FOLFIRINOX in locally advanced and metastatic pancreatic Cancer: a single Centre cohort study. J Cancer 7:1861–1866. https://doi.org/10.7150/jca.16279 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 21.Tabernero J, Chiorean EG, Infante JR, Hingorani SR, Ganju V, Weekes C, Scheithauer W, Ramanathan RK, Goldstein D, Penenberg DN, Romano A, Ferrara S, von Hoff DD (2015) Prognostic factors of survival in a randomized phase III trial (MPACT) of weekly nab-paclitaxel plus gemcitabine versus gemcitabine alone in patients with metastatic pancreatic Cancer. Oncologist 20:143–150. https://doi.org/10.1634/theoncologist.2014-0394 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar