Pemetrexed combined with paclitaxel: a dose-finding study evaluating three schedules in solid tumors
- 200 Downloads
The objectives of this phase I study were to determine the maximum tolerated dose (MTD), recommended phase II dose (RD), antitumor activity, safety, and pharmacokinetics of pemetrexed–paclitaxel combination. Patients (N = 95) with advanced solid tumors were assigned to three schedules (21-day cycles [q21d]). Starting doses for each schedule of pemetrexed and paclitaxel, respectively, were: (S1) 400 and 135 mg/m2 on d1; (S2) 400 mg/m2 d1 and 40 mg/m2 d1 and d8; S3) 400 mg/m2 d8 and 30 mg/m2 d1 and d8. MTD was 500/135 mg/m2 (S1), 400/40 mg/m2 (S2), and 500/120 mg/m2 (S3). Most common dose limiting toxicities were febrile neutropenia, fatigue, and neuromotor toxicities. Most common toxicity was grade 3/4 lymphopenia. Four patients had partial response, 43 patients had stable disease. The RD determined was pemetrexed 500 mg/m2 (d8) and paclitaxel 90 mg/m2 (d1 and d8), q21d. The combination was well tolerated and showed efficacy in thyroid carcinoma and mesothelioma.
KeywordsPemetrexed Paclitaxel Phase I Combination chemotherapy Vitamin supplementation
The authors are thankful for clinical support from Dr. Allan van Oosterom and for expert administrative and managerial support from Mrs. S. Kriebel-Bargholz during the conducting of this trial. From Eli Lilly and Company, we thank Bente Frimodt-Moller and Romnee Clark for medical support and David Cross and Parag Garhyan for pharmacokinetic analysis. Primo Scientific Corporation provided scientific writing support for this manuscript.
The financial support was provided by Eli Lilly and Company.
- 1.Shih C, Thornton D (1999) Preclinical pharmacology studies and the clinical development of a novel multitargeted antifolate, MTA (LY231514). In: Jackman AL (ed) Anti cancer drug development guide: antifolate drugs in cancer therapy. Humana, New Jersey, pp 183–201Google Scholar
- 7.Rinaldi DA, Kuhn JG, Burris HA, Dorr FA, Rodriguez G, Eckhardt SG et al (1999) A phase I evaluation of multitargeted antifolate (MTA, LY231514) administered every 21 days, using the modified continual reassessment methods for dose escalation. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 44:372–380. doi: 10.1007/s002800050992 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Hammond L, Villalona-Calero M, Eckhardt SG et al (1998) A phase I and pharmacokinetic (PK) study of the multitargeted antifolate (MTA, LY231514) with folic acid (FA). Ann Oncol 9:620Google Scholar
- 16.National Cancer Institute (1993) Common Toxicity Criteria (CTC) scale, version 1Google Scholar
- 24.Stathopoulos GP, Dimitroulis J, Toubis M, Katis C, Karaindros D, Stathopoulos J et al (2007) Pemetrexed combined with paclitaxel in patients with advanced or metastatic non-small-cell lung cancer: a phase I–II trial. Lung Cancer 57:66–71. doi: 10.1016/j.lungcan.2007.02.003 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 25.Mita AC, Sweeney CJ, Baker SD, Goetz A, Hammond L, Patnaik A et al (2006) Phase I and pharmacokinetic study of pemetrexed administered every 3 weeks to advanced cancer patients with normal and impaired renal function. J Clin Oncol 24:552–562. doi: 10.1200/JCO.2004.00.9720 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar