The Changes of Pattern Electroretinography at the Early Stage of Photodynamic Therapy
- 58 Downloads
To evaluate the short-term changes in pattern electroretinography (PERG) after photodynamic therapy (PDT).
Thirty eyes of 30 patients (17 males, 13 females) with choroidal neovascularization secondary to age related macular degeneration were included in this study. Standard PDT with verteporfin was performed on each patient. Serial PERG recordings were performed before, 1 week, and 1 month after PDT.
Mean age of the patients was 69.6 ± 8.4 years (range 56 and 90 years). One month after PDT, the visual acuity improved in 16 eyes, remained unchanged in 12 eyes and deteriorated in two eyes. New hemorrhages were seen in two eyes in the first week after PDT and visual acuity was decreased in those patients. No other patient complained of ocular and systemic adverse events. There was a statistically significant reduction in the amplitudes of P50 and N95 waves at the first week recordings after PDT. At 1 month after PDT, no significant differences in the P50 and N95 amplitudes were observed compared with pre-PDT PERG recordings. There were no significant changes in the latencies of P50 and N95 at the first week and first month recordings when compared with pre-treatment PERG values.
Reduction in P50 and N95 amplitudes suggests that transient impairments in macular function occur at the first week after PDT.
Keywordspattern electroretinography photodynamic therapy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Treatment of Age-Related Macular Degeneration with Photodynamic Therapy (TAP) Study Group1999Photodynamic therapy of subfoveal choroidal neovascularization in agerelated macular degeneration with verteporfin. One-year results of 2 randomized clinical trials: TAP report 1Arch Ophthalmol117132945Google Scholar
- 2.Treatment of Age-related Macular Degeneration with Photodynamic Therapy (TAP) Study Group2001Photodynamic therapy of subfoveal choroidal neovascularization in agerelated macular degeneration with verteporfin. Two-year results of 2 randomized clinical trials: TAP report 2Arch Ophthalmol119198207Google Scholar
- 3.Verteporfin in Photodynamic Therapy Study Group2001Verteporfin therapy of subfoveal choroidal neovascularization in age-related macular degeneration: two-year results of a randomized clinical trial including lesions with occult with no classic choroidal neovascularization: verteporfin in photodynamic therapy report 2Am J Ophthalmol13154160Google Scholar
- 7.Wachtlin, J, Behme, T, Heimann, H, Kellner, U, Foerster, MH 2003Concentric retinal pigment epitheliumium atrophy after a single photodynamic therapyGraef Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol24151821Google Scholar
- 8.Berninger, T, Arden, GB 1991The pattern electroretinogramHeckenlively, JRArden, GB eds. Principles and Practice of Clinical Electrophysiology and VisionMosby Year BookSt Louis291300Google Scholar
- 9.Bach M, Hawlina M, Holder GE et al. Standards for pattern electroretinography. In: ISCEV PERG Guide 2000; 101: 11–8Google Scholar
- 16.Maffei, L, Fiorentini, A 1986Generator sources of the pattern ERG in man and animalsCracco, RQBodis-Wollner, I eds. Frontiers in Clinical NeuroscienceLissNew York10116Google Scholar