Down-regulation of Protein and mRNA Expression of IL-8 and ICAM-1 in Colon Tissue of Ulcerative Colitis Patients by Partition-Herb Moxibustion
Our previous studies have demonstrated the efficacy of partition-herb moxibustion on ulcerative colitis (UC) rats. However, the mechanism of actions of partition-herb moxibustion is still unclear. Most Chinese acupuncturists believe that partition-herb improves the effect of moxibustion therapy. However, this argument lacks confirming experimental and clinical evidence. So, whether partition-herb does play a role in the mechanism of actions of partition-herb moxibustion was reported in this paper. A total of 123 patients were randomly divided into the partition-herb moxibustion group and the control group (partition-bran moxibustion group). Fourteen patients dropped out of the study. Finally, 109 patients finished the intervention. Sixty-one patients with UC received partition-herb moxibustion and 48 patients with UC received partition-bran moxibustion for 72 treatments, one treatment per day, every 12 treatments with an interval of 3 days. The expressions of interleukin-8 (IL-8) and intercellular adhesion molecule-1 (ICAM-1) in the colonic mucosa tissue in mild patients with UC were assayed by immunohistochemistry and RT-PCR. Histology of the colon also was observed at entry and after 72 treatments. Clinical therapeutic effect in partition-herb moxibustion was significantly better than those in partition-bran moxibustion (P < 0.05). Protein and mRNA expression of IL-8, ICAM-1 in the patients was inhibited by both partition-herb moxibustion and partition-bran moxibustion, of those the inhibition in the partition-herb moxibustion group was more obvious (P < 0.01). Partition-herb moxibustion was shown to significantly improve the histology of the colon, and partition-herb was shown to improve the therapeutic effect of moxibustion on treatment of UC patients.
KeywordsUlcerative colitis Moxibustion Partition-herb moxibustion Gene expression Immunohistochemistry RT-PCR
Intercellular adhesion molecule-1
This work was supported by the National Basic Research Program of China (973 Program) (2009CB522900), Shanghai Leading Academic Discipline Project (S30304), and the National Science Foundation of China (90709029).
- 1.Clark M, Colombel JF, Feagan BC, et al. American gastroenterological association consensus development conference on the use of biologics in the treatment of inflammatory bowel disease, June 21–23, 2006. Gastroenterology. 2007;133:312–339. doi: 10.1053/j.gastro.2007.05.006.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 2.Wu HG, Tan WL, Chen HP, Shi Z, Hua XG. Effect of moxibustion on ulcerative colitis and expression of HLA-DR antigen on epithelial cell of the colon. Acupunct Res. 1999;24:12–16.Google Scholar
- 3.Liu HR, Shi DR, Wu HG, Zhong YS, Li S. Effect of partition-herb moxibustion on expression of COX-2, TNF-α in colonic mucosa of patients with ulcerative colitis. Chin Arch Tradtional Chin Med. 2005;23:989–992.Google Scholar
- 4.Wu HG, Chen HP, Wang N, Zhao CY, Chen JL, Shi Z. Ulcerative colitis animal models and morphology study of therapeutic effect of partition-herb moxibustion. Chin Acupunct Moxibustion. 1994;14:35–37.Google Scholar
- 5.Wu HG, Chen HP, Liao BS, Shi Z, Zhang LS. Effect of partition-herb moxibustion on immune function and β-endorphin of ulcerative colitis rats. Chin Acupunct Moxibustion. 1997;17:163–165.Google Scholar
- 6.Shi Z, Wu HG, Chen HP, Hua XG. Effect of different therapies of acupuncture and Moxibustion on regulation of immune function ulcerative colitis rats. J Clin Acupunct Moxibustion. 1996;12:23–25.Google Scholar
- 7.Wu HG, Zhou LB, Huang C, et al. Gene expression of cytokines in acupuncture and moxibustion treatment for ulcerative colitis in rats. WCJD. 1998;6:853–855.Google Scholar
- 8.Wu HG, Liu HR, Zhao C, et al. Study on differentially expressed genes of ulcerative colitis in the rat treated by partition-herb moxibustion. Chin Acupunct Moxibustion. 2005;25:359–365.Google Scholar
- 13.Allison MC, Dhillon AP, Lewis WG, Pounder RE. Inflammatory Bowel Disease. London: Mosby; 1998:9–95.Google Scholar
- 18.National Academic Conference on Digestive System Diseases. The diagnosis and therapy criterions of ulcerative colitis. Chin J Dig. 1993;13:354–355.Google Scholar