Serum Concentrations of Insulin-Like Growth Factor-I (IGF-I) as a Marker of Liver Fibrosis in Patients With Chronic Hepatitis C
- 99 Downloads
Liver biopsy was until recently the only way of evaluating liver fibrosis. Noninvasive tests for hepatic fibrosis, without potential risks, are desired by clinicians as well as patients. Insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I) synthesis is disturbed in liver fibrosis and reflects the severity of the clinical stage. We assessed serum IGF-I levels in patients with chronic hepatitis C (CHC) to correlate with liver fibrosis and antiviral therapy. Forty patients with CHC and persistently abnormal alanine aminotransferase values were enrolled and treated with peginterferon α-2a 180 μg per week plus ribavirin for 24 (n=20) or 48 (n=20) weeks. All patients underwent liver biopsy before treatment (METAVIR fibrosis stage F0, n=13; F1–F2, n=14; F3, n=7; F4, n=6). Serum IGF-I was measured at baseline, at the end of treatment period, and 24 weeks after finishing treatment. Mean IGF-I values were significantly lower in patients with advanced fibrosis (F4, 65.9±17.9 ng/mL) than in the others (F0, 145.2±47.1; F1–F2, 150.3±89.6; and F3, 121.4±35.2 ng/mL; P < .05). Serum IGF-I levels increased during combined therapy, being this increment markedly higher in patients with sustained virologic response. In conclusion, IGF-I synthesis is disturbed in CHC and reflects the severity of the liver fibrosis. Combined therapy improves serum IGF-I levels. IGF-I could represent a good, noninvasive marker of liver fibrosis.
KeywordsSerum IGF-I levels Chronic hepatitis C Liver fibrosis Combined therapy
Partly supported by a grant of the FISss (N° PI021045) of the Spanish National Institute of Health.
- 1.NIH Consensus Statement on Management of Hepatitis C (2002) Hepatology 36:S3–S20Google Scholar
- 10.Imbert-Bismut F, Ratziu V, Pieroni L, Charlotte F, Benhamou Y, Poynard T (2001) Biochemical markers of liver fibrosis in patients with hepatitis C virus infection: a prospective study. Lancet 357:1069–1075Google Scholar
- 23.Granada ML, Murillo J, Lucas A, Salinas I, Llopis MA, Castells I, Foz M, Sanmartí A (2000) Diagnostic efficiency of serum IGF-I, IGF-binding protein-3 (IGFBP-3), IGF-I/IGFBP-3 molar ration and urinary GH measurements in the diagnosis of adult GH deficiency: importance of an appropriate reference population. Eur J Endocrinology 142:243–253CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 31.Hadzjyannis SJ, Sette HJ, Morgan TR, Balan V, Diago M, Marcellin P, Ramadori G, Bodenheimer HJ, Bernstein D, Rizzeto M, Zeuzem S, Pockros PJ, Lin A, Ackrill AM (2004) Peginterferon alfa-2a and ribavirin combination therapy in chronic hepatitis C. A randomised study of treatment duration and ribavirin dose. Ann Intern Med 140:346–355Google Scholar
- 33.National Institutes of Health Consensus Development Conference (2002) National Institutes of Health Consensus Development Conference statement: management of hepatitis C: 2002. Hepatology 36(suppl 1):S3–S20Google Scholar