Effect of Rebamipide on the Colonic Barrier in Interleukin-10-Deficient Mice
- 110 Downloads
Our aim was to study the effect of a mucosal protective agent, rebamipide, on the colonic barrier and the immune response in colitis-prone interleukin-10-deficient (IL-10−/−) C57BL/6 mice infected with Helicobacter hepaticus. After sacrifice, in all mice, control, or previously infected with H. hepaticus, or previously infected and treated with rebamipide enema, a histological examination of colonic samples was performed, intestinal permeability was studied in Ussing chamber, and mesenteric lymph node proliferation and cytokine secretion were measured. Mice treated with rebamipide presented a reinforcement of the distal colonic epithelial barrier, an increase of mesenteric lymph node cells proliferation, and of IFNγ and IL-12 secretion. These results indicate that in IL-10−/− mice with mild colitis, rectally administered rebamipide reinforces the distal colonic barrier and has a slight Th1 immuno-stimulatory effect on mesenteric lymph node cells. These properties could be helpful in the management of some inflammatory bowel diseases.
KeywordsRebamipide Intestinal permeability Colitis Interleukin 10 Immune response
This work was supported by Otsuka Pharmaceutical, Tokyo, Japan.
- 13.Kullberg MC, Ward JM, Gorelick PL, Caspar P, Hieny S, Cheever A, Jankovic D, Sher A (1998) Helicobacter hepaticus triggers colitis in specific-pathogen-free interleukin-10 (IL-10)-deficient mice through an IL-12- and gamma interferon-dependent mechanism. Infect Immun 66:5157–5166PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 15.McCarthy J, O'Mahony L, O'Callaghan L, Sheil B, Vaughan EE, Fitzsimons N, Fitzgibbon J, O'Sullivan GC, Kiely B, Collins JK, Shanahan F (2003) Double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of two probiotic strains in interleukin-10 knockout mice and mechanistic link with cytokine balance. Gut 52:975–980PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 24.Aihara M, Azuma A, Takizawa H, Tsuchimoto D, Funakoshi Y, Shindo Y, Ohmoto Y, Imagawa K, Kikuchi M, Mukaida N, Matsushima K (1998) Molecular analysis of suppression of interleukin-8 production by rebamipide in Helicobacter pylori-stimulated gastric cancer cell lines. Dig Dis Sci 43:174S–180SPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 35.Pelto L, Salminen SJ, Isolauri E (1998) Lactobacillus GG modulates milk-induced immune inflammatory response in milk-hypersensitive adults. Nutrition Today 31(Suppl):45S–46SGoogle Scholar
- 39.Fuss IJ, Heller F, Boirivant M, Leon F, Yoshida M, Fichtner-Feigl S, Yang Z, Exley M, Kitani A, Blumberg RS, Mannon P, Strober W (2004) Nonclassical CD1d-restricted NK T cells that produce IL-13 characterize an atypical Th2 response in ulcerative colitis. J Clin Invest 113:1490–1497PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 40.Berg DJ, Davidson N, Kuhn R, Muller W, Menon S, Holland G, Thompson-Snipes L, Leach MW, Rennick D (1996) Enterocolitis and colon cancer in interleukin-10-deficient mice are associated with aberrant cytokine production and CD4(+) TH1-like responses. J Clin Invest 98:1010–1020PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar