A Dynamic Foundational Architecture for Semantic Web Services
- 100 Downloads
The combination of Web services and ontologies is gaining momentum as the potential silver bullets for tomorrow’s Web, i.e., the Semantic Web. We propose an architectural foundation for managing semantic Web services in dynamic environments. We introduce the concept of community to cater for an ontological organization of Web services. We develop an ontology called community ontology that serves as a “template” for describing communities of Web services. We also propose a peer-to-peer approach for managing communities in dynamic environments.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G. Alonso, F. Casati, H. Kuno, and V. Machiraju, Web Services: Concepts, Architecture, and Applications, Springer Verlag, June 2003, ISBN: 3540440089.Google Scholar
- 2.T. Berners-Lee, J. Hendler, and O. Lassila, “The Semantic Web,” Scientific American, May 2001.Google Scholar
- 3.C. Bussler, B2B Integration, Springer Verlag, May 2003, ISBN: 3540434879.Google Scholar
- 4.C. Bussler, D. Fensel, and A. Maedche, “A conceptual architecture for semantic Web enabled Web services, SIGMOD Record, vol. 31, no. 4, 2002.Google Scholar
- 5.C. Collet, T. Coupaye, and T. Svensen, “Naos: Efficient and modular reactive capabilities in an object-oriented database system,” in VLDB Conf., Santiago, Chile, September 1994.Google Scholar
- 6.T.H. Cormen, C.E. Leiserson, R.L. Rivest, and C.Stein, Introduction to Algorithms, MIT Press, 2001.Google Scholar
- 7.D. Fensel, Ontologies: A Silver Bullet for Knowledge Management and Electronic Commerce, Springer Verlag, Sept. 2003, ISBN: 3540003029.Google Scholar
- 8.Object Management Group, Unified Modeling Language Specification. http://www.omg.org/technology/documents/formal/uml.htm, 1999.
- 9.I. Horrocks, “DAML + OIL: A description logic for the Semantic Web,” IEEE Data Engineering Bulletin, March 2002.Google Scholar
- 10.S.A. Mclraith, T.C. Son, and H. Zeng, “Semantic Web services,” IEEE Intelligent Systems, March 2001.Google Scholar
- 11.C. Petrie and C. Bussler, “Service agents and virtual enterprises: A survey,” IEEE Internet Computing, vol. 7, no. 4, 2003.Google Scholar
- 11.S. Ran, “A model for web services discovery with QoS,” SIGecom Exchanges, vol. 4, no. 1, 2003.Google Scholar
- 13.S. Tsur, S. Abiteboul, R. Agrawal, U. Dayal, J. Klein, and G. Weikum, “Are Web services the next revolution in e-commerce? (Panel),” in VLDB Conference, Sep. 2001.Google Scholar
- 14.G. Weikum (ed.), Special Issue on Organizing and Discovering the Semantic Web, IEEE Data Engineering Bulletin, March 2002.Google Scholar
- 15.L. Zeng, B. Benatallah, M. Dumas, J. Kalagnanam, and Q.Z. Sheng, “Quality driven Web services composition,” in Twelfth International World Wide Web Conference, Budapest, Hungary, May 2003.Google Scholar