Fast Prototyping Methodology for Distributed and Heterogeneous Architectures: Application to Mpeg-4 Video Tools
- 41 Downloads
Embedded real-time signal, image and control applications have very significant time constraints and thus require the use of several powerful numerical calculation units. Self-time scheduling developed from single-processor applications cannot take advantage of multiprocessor architectures: manual data transfers and synchronizations quickly become very complex, leading wasted time and potential deadlocks. We aim to develop a fast and automatic prototyping process dedicated to parallel architectures especially suited to static executives. The process is based on SynDEx CAD software that improves algorithm implementation on multiprocessor architectures by finding the best match between algorithms and architectures. This paper describes how to use SynDEx, from the high level description of an application and its functional verification to final optimized multiprocessor execution. New SynDEx kernels are depicted for automatic multi-PC and multi-DSP dedicated code generation. Finally, we demonstrate the effectiveness of the approach with a full MPEG-4 codec application shared on PC and multi-DSP platforms.
Keywordsrapid prototyping multicomponent virtual prototyping embedded video coding
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Balarin, F., L. Lavagno, P. Murthy, and A. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli. Scheduling for Embedded Real-Time Systems, IEEE Design and Test of Computers, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 71–82, 1998.Google Scholar
- 2.Grandpierre, T., C. Lavarenne, and Y. Sorel, Optimized Rapid Prototyping for Real-Time Embedded Heterogeneous Multiprocessors. In 7th International Workshop on Hardware/Software Co-Design CODES’99, Rome, Italy, May 1999, pp. 74–78.Google Scholar
- 3.Grandpierre, T. and Y. Sorel, From Algorithm and Architecture Specifications to Automatic Generation of Distributed Real-Time Executives: A Seamless Flow of Graphs Transformations. In MEMOCODE2003, Formal Methods and Models for Codesign Conference, June 2003.Google Scholar
- 4.JTC1/SC29/WG11. Information Technology, Coding of Audio-Visual Objects, Part 2: Visual. ISO/IEC 14496-2, December 2001.Google Scholar
- 5.Keutzer, K., S. Malik, R. Newton, J. Rabaey, and A Sangiovanni-Vincentelli. System Level Design: Orthogonalization of Concerns and Platform-Based Design, IEEE Transactions on Computer-Aided Design of Circuits and Systems, vol. 19, no. 12, December 2000.Google Scholar
- 6.Le Nours, S., F. Nouvel, and J. F. Hélard. Example of a Co-Design Approach for a MC-CDMA Transmission System Implementation, Journées Francophones Adéquation Algorithme Architecture (JFAAA) (2002).Google Scholar
- 7.Moy, C., A. Kountouris, L. Rambaud, and P. Le Corre. Full Digital IF UMTS Transceiver for Future Software Radio Systems, first international conference on Engineering of Reconfigurable Systems and Algorithms (ERSA’2001) (Las Vegas, USA), June 2001.Google Scholar
- 8.Raulet, M., M. Babel, J.-F. Nezan, O. Déforges, and Y. Sorel. Automatic Coarse Grain Partitioning and Automatic Code Generation for Heterogeneous Architectures, IEEE Workshop on Signal Processing Systems (SIPS’03) (Seoul, Korea), August 2003.Google Scholar