Clinical significance and functional validation of inorganic pyrophosphatase in diffuse large B cell lymphoma in humans
- 150 Downloads
Diffuse large B-cell lymphoma (DLBCL), the most common type of non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, displays marked heterogeneity. Although it is usually curable, 30–40% of patients die within 1–2 years due to refractory treatment or cancer relapse. In different types of cancer in humans, inorganic pyrophosphatase (PPA1) is deregulated, thereby contributing to tumorigenesis by supplying the tumor with an enormous energy source. However, the role of PPA1 in DLBCL is still unclear. Here, we analized PPA1 in 65 patients with DLBCL and 20 patients with reactive hyperplasia of the lymph nodes (control). The PPA1 level was significantly higher in patients with DLBCL than in control subjects (p < 0.05), and it is closely associated with B symptoms (i.e., fever, night sweats, and weight loss) and the IPI score (p < 0.05). Furthermore, PPA1 mRNA and protein levels were higher in most DLBCL cell lines than in the control HMy2.CIR cell line. Lastly, we investigated the effects of PPA1 knockdown on the proliferation and survival of the DLBCL cell line. We found that p53 and p21 expression decreased in PPA1-silenced DLBCL cells. In addition, cell proliferation decreased and cell apoptosis increased. In conclusion, PPA1 is a novel molecule that may be useful in the development and prognosis of DLBCL in the future.
KeywordsDiffuse large B-cell lymphoma Inorganic pyrophosphatase Prognosis Proliferation
This work was supported by Inner Mongolia People’s Hospital Fund (No. 201705).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors have no conflicts of interest.
- Akkaya B, Salim O, Akkaya H, Ozcan M, Yucel OK, Erdem R, Iltar U, Undar L (2016) C-MYC and BCL2 translocation frequency in diffuse large B-cell lymphomas: a study of 97 patients. Indian J Pathol Microbiol 59:41–46Google Scholar
- Berglund M, Thunberg U, Amini RM, Book M, Roos G, Erlanson M, Linderoth J, Dictor M, Jerkeman M, Cavallin-Ståhl E, Sundström C, Rehn-Eriksson S, Backlin C, Hagberg H, Rosenquist R, Enblad G (2005) Evaluation of immunophenotype in diffuse large B-cell lymphoma and its impact on prognosis. Mod Pathol 18:1113–1120CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Bodnar M, Luczak M, Bednarek K, Szylberg L, Marszalek A, Grenman R, Szyfter K, Jarmuz-Szymczak M, Giefing M (2016) Proteomic profiling identifies the inorganic pyrophosphatase (PPA1) protein as a potential biomarker of metastasis in laryngeal squamous cell carcinoma. Amino Acids 48:1469–1476CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Cerella C, Radogna F, Dicato M, Diederich, M (2013) Natural compounds as regulators of the cancer cell metabolism. Int J Cell Biol 2013:639401Google Scholar
- Chen G, Gharib TG, Huang CC, Thomas DG, Shedden KA, Taylor JM, Kardia SL, Misek DE, Giordano TJ, Iannettoni MD et al (2002) Proteomic analysis of lung adenocarcinoma: identification of a highly expressed set of proteins in tumors. Clin Cancer Res 8:2298–2305Google Scholar
- Hans CP, Weisenburger DD, Greiner TC, Gascoyne RD, Delabie J, Ott G, Müller-Hermelink HK, Campo E, Braziel RM, Jaffe ES, Pan Z, Farinha P, Smith LM, Falini B, Banham AH, Rosenwald A, Staudt LM, Connors JM, Armitage JO, Chan WC (2004) Confirmation of the molecular classification of diffuse large B-cell lymphoma by immunohistochemistry using a tissue microarray. Blood 103:275–282CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Harris NL, Jaffe ES, Stein H, Banks PM, Chan JK, Cleary ML, Delsol G, De Wolf-Peeters C, Falini B, Gatter KC et al (1994) A revised European-American classification of lymphoid neoplasms: a proposal from the international lymphoma study group. Blood 84:1361–1392Google Scholar
- Micallef IN, Remstein ED, Ansell SM, Colgan JP, Inwards DJ, Johnston PB, Lewis JT, Markovic SN, Porrata LF, White WL, Witzig TE, Ristow K, Habermann TM (2006) The international prognostic index predicts outcome after histological transformation of low-grade non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Leuk Lymphoma 47:1794–1799CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Sehn LH, Donaldson J, Chhanabhai M, Fitzgerald C, Gill K, Klasa R, MacPherson N, O'Reilly S, Spinelli JJ, Sutherland J et al (2005) Introduction of combined CHOP plus rituximab therapy dramatically improved outcome of diffuse large B-cell lymphoma in British Columbia. J Clin Oncol 23:5027–5033CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Tomonaga T, Matsushita K, Yamaguchi S, Oh-Ishi M, Kodera Y, Maeda T, Shimada H, Ochiai T, Nomura F (2004) Identification of altered protein expression and post-translational modifications in primary colorectal cancer by using agarose two-dimensional gel electrophoresis. Clin Cancer Res 10:2007–2014CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wang P, Zhou Y,Mei Q, Zhao J, Huang L, Fu Q (2017) PPA1 regulates tumor malignant potential and clinical outcome of colon adenocarcinoma through JNK pathways. Oncotarget 8(35):58611–58624Google Scholar
- Yang Y, Cai J, Yin J, Wang D, Bai Z, Zhang J, Wang K, Yu G, Zhang Z (2015) Inorganic pyrophosphatase (PPA1) is a negative prognostic marker for human gastric cancer. Int J Clin Exp Pathol 8:12482–12490Google Scholar
- Zhang Y, Shen L, Stupack DG, Bai N, Xun J, Ren G, Han J, Li L, Luo Y, Xiang R, Tan X (2016) JMJD3 promotes survival of diffuse large B-cell lymphoma subtypes via distinct mechanisms. Oncotarget 7:29387–29399Google Scholar