Comparative cytogenetic analysis of marine needlefishes (Beloniformes) from southern Brazil
Cytogenetic studies have assisted in the taxonomic classification of organisms, especially those involving species with highly similar morphologic characteristics, or so-called cryptic species. Strongylura marina and Strongylura timucu collected from Paranaguá Bay, Paraná Coast in Southern Brazil are considered cryptic species, and the identification of interspecific variations based on the number and/or morphology of its chromosomes may serve as differentiating cytotaxonomic markers. Chromosomes of the two species were subjected to different banding and staining methods (C-, Ag-, and DAPI-CMA3), as well as chromosomal mapping of major rDNA (45S), revealed with an 18S probe by fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH). The pattern of distribution of constitutive heterochromatin showed distinct features involving the pericentromeric and telomeric bands in both species. In S. marina, chromosome 1 represents the main species-specific marker, appearing almost entirely heterochromatic. In both species, the 45S rDNA is located at terminal region of the short arm of the chromosome 6, as detected by silver nitrate staining and FISH. Despite the apparent conserved diploid number of 48 chromosomes, data on the karyotype microstructure characterize the cytogenetic profile of the genus and may allow the establishment of cytotaxonomic and evolutionary inferences for these fishes.
KeywordsAg-NORs C-band Karyotype FISH Marine teleosts
We thank the Coordenação de Aperfeiçoamento de Pessoal de Nível Superior (CAPES) and Fundação Araucária de Apoio ao Desenvolvimento Científico e Tecnológico do Estado do Paraná for the financial support for this study.
- Cipriano RR, Fenocchio AS, Artoni RF, Molina WF, Noleto RB, Kantek DLZ, Cestari MM (2008) Chromosomal studies of five species of the marine fishes from the Paranaguá Bay and the karyotypic diversity in the Marine Teleostei of the Brazilian Coast. Braz Arch Biol Technol 51:303–314CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Collette BB (2003) Family belonidae bonaparte 1932—needlefishes. Calif Acad Sci Annot Checkl Fish 16:1–22Google Scholar
- Collette BB, Mcgowen GE, Parin NV, Mito S (1984) Beloniformes: development and relationships. In: Moser HG (ed) Ontogeny and systematics of fish: Am. Soc. Ichthyol. Herpetol. Spec. Publ. 1Google Scholar
- Goulding M, Carvalho ML (1984) Ecololgy of amazoniam needlefishes (Belonidae). Revista Brasileira de Zoologia 2:99–111Google Scholar
- Jaillon O, Aury JM, Brunet F, Petit JL, Stange-Thomann N, Mauceli E, Bouneau L, Fischer C, Ozouf-Costaz C, Bernot A, Nicaud S, Jaffe D, Fisher S, Lutfalla G, Dossat C, Segurens B, Dasilva C, Salanoubat M, Levy M, Boudet N, Castellano S, Anthouard V, Jubin C, Castelli V, Katinka M, Vacherie B, Biémont C, Skalli Z, Cattolico L, Poulain J, De Berardinis V, Cruaud C, Duprat S, Brottier P, Coutanceau JP, Gouzy J, Parra G, Lardier G, Chapple C, McKernan KJ, McEwan P, Bosak S, Kellis M, Volff JN, Guigó R, Zody MC, Mesirov J, Lindblad-Toh K, Birren B, Nusbaum C, Kahn D, Robinson-Rechavi M, Laudet V, Schachter V, Quétier F, Saurin W, Scarpelli C, Wincker P, Lander ES, Weissenbach J, Roest Crollius H (2004) Genome duplication in the teleost fish Tetraodon nigroviridis reveals the early vertebrate proto-karyotype. Nature 431:946–957Google Scholar
- Liao JC (2002) Swimming in needlefish (Belonidae): anguilliform locomotion with fins. J Exp Biol 205:2875–2884Google Scholar
- Molina WF, Schmid M, Galetti PM (1998) Heterochromatin and sex chromosomes in the Neotropical fish genus Leporinus (Characiformes, Anastomidae). Cytobios 94:141–149Google Scholar
- Rish KK (1973) A preliminary report on the karyotypes of eighteen marine fishes. Res Bull Punjab Univ 24:161–162Google Scholar
- Rishi KK, Singh J (1982) Karyological studies on five estuarine fishes. Nucleus 25:178–180Google Scholar
- Srivastava MDL, Kaura P (1964) The structure and behaviour of chromosomes in six freshwater teleosts. Cellule 65:93–107Google Scholar
- Vicari MR, Nogaroto V, Noleto RB, Cestari MM, Cioffi MB, Almeida MC, Moreira-Filho O, Bertollo LA, Artoni RF (2010) Satellite DNA and chromosomes in neotropical fishes: methods, applications and perspectives. J Fish Biol 76:1094–1116Google Scholar