Utilizing Compassion Fatigue Education in Hurricanes Ivan and Katrina
- 309 Downloads
Compassion Fatigue is a state that includes the symptoms of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. This text reviews events following the Hurricane Ivan and Katrina disasters and how Compassion Fatigue education helped to identify and ameliorate symptoms of the problem. I worked in a community center in the Pensacola area for one week following Ivan and in a shelter in my residential area of Houma, Louisiana for two months following Katrina. Examples of traumatic stories and coping with my own secondary stress are given. Implications include education regarding CF for all mental health professionals, especially during and following work in disasters or with populations of the traumatized.
KeywordsCompassion fatigue Hurricane Ivan Hurricane Katrina Disaster response
- Figley, C. R. (1995). Compassion fatigue: Coping with secondary traumatic stress disorder in those who treat the traumatized. NY: Brunner/Mazel.Google Scholar
- Figley, C. R. (Ed.), (2002). Brief treatments for the traumatized: A project of the green cross foundation. London: Greenwoood Press.Google Scholar
- Mattas-Curry, L. (2004). NASW launches “End of life care: The social workers’ role.” Retrieved May 5, 2007 from http://www.socialworkers.ort/pressroom/2004/062904.asp.
- McFarlane, A. C., & van der Kolk, B. A. (1996). Trauma and its challenge to society. In van der Kolk, B. A., McFarlane, A. C., & Weisaeth, L. (Eds.), Traumatic stress (p. 28). NY: Guilford Press.Google Scholar
- Mitchell, J. (1995). Critical incident stress management: The basic course workbook. Maryland: International Critical Incident Stress Foundation, Inc.Google Scholar
- Rothschild, B. (2000). The body remembers: The psychophysiology of trauma and trauma treatment. New York: W. W. Norton and Company.Google Scholar
- Stamm, B. H. (2003). Professional quality of life: Compassion fatigue and satisfaction subscales, R-III (ProQOL). http://www.isu.edu/∼bhstamm.
- Stamm, B. H. (2005). The ProQOL manual. Retrieved May 5, 2007 from http://isu.edu/∼bhstamm/tests/htm.Google Scholar