Bootstrap Inference of Level Relationships in the Presence of Serially Correlated Errors: A Large Scale Simulation Study and an Application in Energy Demand
- 205 Downloads
By undertaking a large scale simulation study, we demonstrate that the maximum entropy bootstrap (meboot) data generation process can provide accurate and narrow parameter confidence intervals in models with combinations of stationary and nonstationary variables, under both low and high degrees of autocorrelation. The relatively small sample sizes in which meboot performs particularly well make it a useful tool for rolling window estimation. As a case study, we analyze the evolution of the price and income elasticities of import demand for crude oil in Turkey by using quarterly data between 1996–2011. Our approach can be employed to tackle a wide range of macroeconometric estimation problems where small sample sizes are a common issue.
KeywordsMeboot Bootstrap Simulation Rolling windows Oil demand
We are grateful to H. D. Vinod and Ragnar Nymoen for their help and suggestions. We also would like to thank the anonymous reviewers for extremely useful comments.
- Ames, A. J. (2005). Monte carlo experiments on maximum entropy constructive ensembles for time series analysis and inference. Master’s thesis, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics.Google Scholar
- Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey. (2012). Balance of Payments Report 2011-IV. Ankara.Google Scholar
- Darvas, Z., & Varga, B. (2012). Uncovering time-varying parameters with the Kalman-filter and the flexible least squares: A Monte Carlo study. Working Papers 12/04, Department of Mathematical Economics and Economic Analysis, Corvinus University of Budapest, Budapest. https://ideas.repec.org/p/mkg/wpaper/1204.html.
- Gómez, V., & Maravall, A. (1997). Guide for Using the Programs TRAMO and SEATS. Madrid: Banco de España. http://www.bde.es/webbde/en/secciones/servicio/software/programas.html.
- Horowitz, J. L. (2001). The bootstrap. In J. J. Heckman & E. E. Leamer (Eds.), Handbook of econometrics (Vol. 5, Chap. 5). Amsterdam: North-Holland.Google Scholar
- Hyndman, R. J. (1996). Computing and graphing highest density regions. American Statistician, 50, 120–126.Google Scholar
- Hyndman, R. J. (2012). Package ‘hdrcde’. R Package version 2.16. http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/hdrcde/index.html.
- International Energy Agency. (2010). Turkey 2009 Review. Paris: International Energy Agency.Google Scholar
- Kladroba, A. (2005). Flexible least squares estimation of state space models: An alternative to Kalman filtering? Working Paper 149. Universitat Duisburg-Essen. https://ideas.repec.org/p/zbw/udewwd/149.html.
- Ministry of Energy and Natural Resources. (2012). Statistical reports—May 2012. http://www.enerji.gov.tr.
- PwC Turkey. (2011). Nice work if you can get it!. İstanbul: Developments in the Turkish Petroleum Market.Google Scholar
- Turkish Petroleum Industry Association. (2008). The Lubricant No. 10. Problem in the fuel oil sector and solution proposals. Istanbul (in Turkish).Google Scholar
- Turkish Petroleum Industry Association. (2010). The calorific values of petroleum and energy goods and the effect of taxes. Istanbul (in Turkish).Google Scholar
- Turkish Petroleum Industry Association. (2012). 2011 Sector Report. Istanbul.Google Scholar
- Turkish Statistical Institute. (2012). Official statistics programme—May 2012. http://www.turkstat.gov.tr/Start.do.
- Vinod, H. D. (1993). Bootstrap methods: Applications in econometrics. In G. S. Maddala, C. R. Rao, & H. D. Vinod (Eds.), Handbook of statistics: Econometrics (Vol. 11, pp. 629–661). New York: North Holland, Elsevier.Google Scholar
- Vinod, H. D. (2010). New solution to time series inference in spurious regression problems. SSRN Working Paper Series. http://ssrn.com/paper=1560074.
- Vinod, H. D. (2012). Constructing scenarios of time heterogeneous series for stress testing. SSRN Working Paper Series. http://ssrn.com/paper=1987879.
- Word Bank. (2012). Global economic monitor (commodities) database—May 2012. http://data.worldbank.org/data-catalog/commodity-price-data.