Hemisynthesis and Spectroscopic Characterization of Three New Chalcone Derivatives from Dorstenia barteri
- 95 Downloads
The hemisynthesis of three new chalcones, namely kenzanol, kelianol A, and kelianol B, from Dorstenia barteri (Moraceae) is described here for the first time. The synthetic pathways employed in this work involved the pyrolysis and catalytic hydrogenation of readily available and starting materials, 4-hydroxylonchocarpin and isobavachalcone, two major constituents of the herbaceous plant D. barteri. The structural elucidation of all the compounds was done by mass spectrometry, IR, UV, 1D and 2D NMR analysis, and also by comparison with previous reports.
KeywordsDorstenia barteri Moraceae 4-hydroxylonchocarpin isobavachalcone synthesis
BN and BTN are grateful to the Chemistry Department of the University of Botswana for providing research facilities. BN and AD are also thankful to the Department of Chemistry, Ataturk University, Turkey for important support with the experimental equipment.
- 2.G. V. Subbraju, A. R. Nayakulu, and D. Parameshwara, Ind. J. Heterocycl. Chem., 4, 87 (1994).Google Scholar
- 7.B. Ngameni, M. Touaibia, A. Belkaid, P. Ambassa, J. Watchueng, R. Patnam, B. T. Ngadjui, B. Annabi, and R. Roy, Arkivoc, ix, 91 (2007).Google Scholar
- 10.B. Ngameni, J. Watchueng, B. F. Fekam, F. Keumedjio, B. T. Ngadjui, J. Gut, M. B. Abegaz, and J. P. Rosenthal, Arkivoc, xiii, 116 (2007).Google Scholar
- 16.J. March, Advanced Organic Chemistry, 3rd Ed., John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1985, 125 pp.Google Scholar
- 17.J. Clayden, N. Greeves, S. Warren, and P. Wothers, Organic Chemistry, Oxford University Press, New York, 2001, 456 pp.Google Scholar