Flavonoids from Artemisia arborescens
- 164 Downloads
Artemisia arborescens L. (family Asteraceae, Anthemideae) from the large genus Artemisia is aromatic wormwood that grows in the Mediterranean area . The aerial parts of this species were collected during June–July 2011 (flowering) near Skikda in the East of Algeria. A voucher specimen (CAA 068/06/011) has been deposited in the Herbarium VARENBIOMOL of Research Unit of University Constantine 1.
Previous phytochemical studies on this species showed the presence of acetylenes , costic acid methyl ester, acyclic diterpenes, homoditerpene endoperoxide, coumarins, sesamin-type lignans, azulene derivatives, sesquiterpene lactones, and β-sitosteryl glucoside [3,4]. The flavonoids previously identified were artemetin, apigenin, chrysoeriol, and chrysoeriol 4-glucoside [3,4]. Herein we report the isolation of 15 flavonoids. Thirteen flavonoids are described for the first time from this species, among which three compounds are reported for the first time for the genus Artemisia.
KeywordsFlavonoid Luteolin Sesquiterpene Lactone Methyl Ethyl Ketone Hispidulin
Thanks are due to the Algerian Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research for financial support.
- 1.P. Quezel and S. Santa, Nouvelle Flore de l_Algerie et des Regions Desertiques et Meridionales, Tome II, Edition CNRS, Paris, 1963, p. 989.Google Scholar
- 3.J. A. Marco and O. Barberfi, in: Studies in Natural Products Chemistry, Atta-ur- Rahman (ed.), Elsevier, Amsterdam, 7A, 1990, p. 201.Google Scholar
- 7.Atta-ur-Rahman, M. I. Choudhari, S. Turkoz, and B. Sener, Planta Med., 54, 173 (1988).Google Scholar
- 11.M. Sakakibara, D. Difeo Jr, N. Nakatani, B. Timerrnmann, and T. Mabry, Phytochemistry, 25, 2357 (1988).Google Scholar
- 13.S. R. Gupta, T. R. Seshadri, C. S. Sharma, and N. D. Sharma, Indian J. Chem., 13, 785 (1975).Google Scholar
- 21.V. Heywood, C. Humphries, and B. Turner, The Biology and Chemistry of the Compositae, Academic Press, 1977.Google Scholar
- 22.E. Wollenweber, K. Mann, and K. M. Valant-Vetschera, Fitoterapia, 60, 460 (1989).Google Scholar
- 23.K. M. Valant-Vetschera and E. Wollenweber, Z. Naturforsch., 50, 353 (1995).Google Scholar
- 24.S. Ivancheva and R. Tsvetkova, Adv. Phytochem., 85 (2003).Google Scholar