Cytotoxic flavonoids from the flowers of Achillea millefolium
- 373 Downloads
A new natural product, 8,8'-bi-3-O-methylquercetin (9), and eight known flavonoids were isolated from the flowers of Achillea millefolium. Their structures were established on the basis of spectral evidence. All the spectral data of these compounds were reassigned after interpretation of their 2D NMR spectroscopic data. Compounds 2, 5, and 7 exhibited antiproliferative activity against human breast cancer cell line MCF7WT. In addition, 2 and 5 showed antiproliferative activity against human prostatic cancer cell line PC-3, while the other compounds did not show inhibitory effects in two human tumor cell lines tested.
KeywordsAchillea millefolium Compositae flavonoids antiproliferative activity
Financial support by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (81072551), the Scientific Research Foundation for Returning Overseas Chinese Scholars of Hebei Province (2006-02), the Scientific Research Foundation of Hebei Province (08B032 and C2010000489), JSPS KAKENHI (22580112), and Syngenta Ltd. (2008-Hebei Medical University-Syngenta02) is gratefully acknowledged.
- 7.S. J. Smolenski, C. L. Bell, and L. Bauer, Lloydia, 30, 144 (1967).Google Scholar
- 8.S. Glasl, P. Mucaji, I. Werner, A. Presser, and J. Jurenitsch, Z. Naturforsch., 57C, 976 (2002).Google Scholar
- 9.S. Z. Kasymov and G. P. Sidyakin, Khim. Prir. Soedin., 246 (1972).Google Scholar
- 10.G. Verzar-Petri, C. Bhanh-Nhu, J. Tamas, L. Radics, and K. Ujszaszi, Herba Hung., 19, 105 (1980).Google Scholar
- 11.G. J. Hochmannova, V. Herout, and F. Sorm, Collect. Czech. Chem. Commun., 26, 1826 (1961).Google Scholar
- 12.Verzar-Petri, Phytochemistry, 18, 331 (1979).Google Scholar
- 19.Haidara, L. O. Zamir, Q. W. Shi, and G. Batist, Cancer Lett., 242, 180 (2006).Google Scholar
- 20.V. U. Ahmad, F. T. B. M. A. Khan, and R. B. Tareen, Phytochemstry, 38, 1305 (1995).Google Scholar
- 21.Y. M. Liu and D. Q. Yu, Acta Pharm. Sin., 20, 514 (1985).Google Scholar
- 26.Y. Liu, X. F. Li, A. L. Liu, Z. H. Li, G. H. Du, and H. L. Qin, Zhongcaoyao, 40, 1356 (2009).Google Scholar
- 27.M. Z. Zhurinov, A. M. Esimova, A. A. Taldybaeva, and Z. K. Narymbaeva, Kazakstan Respublikasy Ulttyk Gylym Akademiyasynyn, 17 (2002).Google Scholar