Delay in networks of functional elements in a model with an arbitrary distribution of basis element input delays
The article investigates a model of delays in a network of functional elements (a gate network) in an arbitrary finite complete basis B, where basis elements may have different input delays. Asymptotic bounds of the form τB n ± O(1), where τB is a constant that depends only on the basis B, are obtained for the delay of a multiplexer function of order n, i.e., a function with n address inputs and 2 n data inputs whose value equals the data input with index formed by the binary values of the address inputs. These bounds are used in the given model to obtain high-accuracy asymptotic bounds of the form τB(n - log log n) ± O(1) for the corresponding Shannon function, i.e., for the delay of the “worst” Boolean function of the given n variables.
Keywordsdelay depth network of functional elements multiplexer function
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S. A. Lozhkin, “The behavior of the Shannon function for the delay of networks of functional elements in some models,” Problems of Theoretical Cybernetics, Abstracts of Papers Presented at the 12th International Conference (Nizhnii Novgorod, 17–22 May 1994), MGU, Moscow (1999), p. 139.Google Scholar
- 2.O. B. Lupanov, “On networks of functional elements with delays,” Probl. Kibern., No. 23, 43–82, Nauka, Moscow (1970).Google Scholar
- 3.S. A. Lozhkin, “Depth of Boolean functions in an arbitrary complete basis,” Vestnik MGU, Matem. Mekhan., No. 2, 80–82 (1996).Google Scholar
- 4.S. A. Lozhkin, “Delay of a multiplexer function in an arbitrary basis,” Problems of Theoretical Cybernetics, abstracts of papers presented at the 15th International Conference (Kazan, 2–7 June 2008), Otechestvo, Kazak (2008), p. 75.Google Scholar
- 5.S. A. Lozhkin, Principles of Cybernetics [in Russian], MGU, Moscow (2004).Google Scholar
- 6.S. V. Yablonskii, Introduction to Discrete Mathematics [in Russian], 4th ed., Vyshshaya Shkola, Moscow (2003).Google Scholar