Mental Health and Pain in Older Adults: Findings from Urban HEART-2
Pain is an important component of disability problems, and plays a key role in mental health of older adults. This study aims to investigate the relationship between mental health and pain in older adults of Tehran, Iran. This was a cross-sectional study using data on 5326 older adults aged ≥60 years old from a large population-based survey (Urban HEART-2). A multistage cluster random sampling method was used to select the participants in Tehran, Iran, in 2011. General Health Questionnaire (GHQ-28), pain questionnaire, and socioeconomic questionnaires were used to collect the data. A total of 5326 older adults, 3811 (71.6%) married and 2797 (52.5%) female, were included into the study. The mean age of the participants was 68.92 ± 7.02 years. Mean of GHQ-28 scores in the sample was 51.08 ± 10.94, which indicates of a good level of mental health. The majority of the older adults had knee and back pain (more than 50%). Regardless of the chronicity, time, and the mode of reaction to it, knee and back pain were the highly reported pains among the participants. There was a statistically significant difference between two groups of older adults, with and without pain, in terms of GHQ-28 scores. Multiple regression analysis revealed that there was a relationship between mental health and the following factors: pain in head, shoulder, teeth, upper and lower limbs, education, gender, age, and marital status. Whatever the explanation, the relation of lowered health status to pain in all body parts among older people is considerable. This renders this matter as a top priority in health policy making.
KeywordsOlder adults Mental health Pain Urban HEART
- Asadi-Lari, M., Vaez-Mahdavi, M. R., Faghihzadeh, S., Cherghian, B., Esteghamati, A., Farshad, A. A., & Kalantari, N. (2013). Response-oriented measuring inequalities in Tehran: Second round of Urban Health Equity Assessment and Response Tool (Urban HEART-2), concepts and framework. Medical Journal of the Islamic Republic of Iran, 27(4), 236–248.PubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Asadi-Lari, M., Vaez-Mahdavi, M. R., Faghihzadeh, S., Montazeri, A., Farshad, A. A., Kalantari, N., & Motevallian, S. A. (2010). The application of Urban Health Equity Assessment and Response Tool (Urban HEART) in Tehran concepts and framework. Medical Journal of the Islamic Republic of Iran, 24(3), 175–185.Google Scholar
- Dragioti, E., Larsson, B., Bernfort, L., Levin, L., & Gerdle, B. (2016). Prevalence of different pain categories based on pain spreading in older adults in Sweden: A multilevel association with socio-demographic characteristics, comorbidities and drug consumption (Pain S65+). European Psychiatry, 33, S501.Google Scholar
- Goldberg, D. (1978). Manual of the general health questionnaire. Windsor, England: NFER Nelson.Google Scholar
- Goldberg, D., & Williams, P. (1988). A user’s guide to the general health questionnaire. Windsor, England: NFER-Nelson.Google Scholar
- Kitayuguchi, J., Kamada, M., Inoue, S., Kamioka, H., Abe, T., Okada, S., & Mutoh, Y. (2016). Association of low back and knee pain with falls in Japanese community-dwelling older adults: A 3-year prospective cohort study. Geriatrics & Gerontology International.Google Scholar
- McCurry, S. M., Von Korff, M., Vitiello, M. V., Saunders, K., Balderson, B. H., Moore, A. L., & Rybarczyk, B. D. (2011). Frequency of comorbid insomnia, pain, and depression in older adults with osteoarthritis: predictors of enrollment in a randomized treatment trial. Journal of Psychosomatic Research, 71(5), 296–299.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Noorbala, A., & Mohammad, K. (2009). The validation of general health questionnaire-28 as a psychiatric screening tool. Hakim Research Journal, 11(4), 47–53.Google Scholar
- Rashedi, V., Asadi-Lari, M., Foroughan, M., Delbari, A., & Fadayevatan, R. (2016). Prevalence of disability in Iranian older adults in Tehran, Iran: A population-based study. Journal of Health and Social Sciences, 1(3), 251–262.Google Scholar
- Rashedi, V., Gharib, M., Rezaei, M., & Yazdani, A. A. (2013). Social support and anxiety in the elderly of Hamedan, Iran. Journal of Rehabilitation, 14(2), 110–115.Google Scholar
- Rashedi, V., Gharib, M., & Yazdani, A. A. (2014). Social participation and mental health among older adults in Iran. Iranian Rehabilitation Journal, 12(19), 9–13.Google Scholar
- Statistical-Centre-of-Iran (2011). Population and Housing Census. Retrieved from https://www.amar.org.ir/english/Census-2011.
- The largest cities in the world. (2011). Retrieved from http://www.citymayors.com/statistics/largest-cities-mayors-1.html.
- World-Health-Organization (2010). Mental health: Strengthening our response (Fact sheet No. 220). Geneva, Switzerland: WHO.Google Scholar
- World-Health-Organization (2013). Mental health and older adults, Fact Sheet No-381. Geneva: WHO.Google Scholar
- World-Health- Organization (2016). Urban Health Equity Assessment and Response Tool (Urban HEART). Retrieved from http://www.who.int/kobe_centre/measuring/urbanheart/en/.