Factor Structure of the Internet Addiction Scale and Its Associations with Psychiatric Symptoms for Korean Adolescents
- 539 Downloads
In this paper, we explore underlying factors of Internet Addiction Scale (IAS) and examine how the dimensions of the IAS relate to psychiatric symptoms in Korean adolescents. Exploratory factor analysis with a sample of N = 1,722 consisted of 13–15 year old Korean adolescents identified three distinctive factors of IAS and they were labeled ‘time management’, ‘withdrawal behaviors’ and ‘neglect work’. Then, multiple regression models were applied to assess the association between each factor and eight psychological problems, which were evaluated by Youth Self Report. The overall IAS was significantly associated with Somatic, Immature, Thought, Attention, Delinquent and Aggressive behaviors. However, three factor scores showed different association patterns and indicated multidimensional aspects of problematic Internet use.
KeywordsInternet addiction Korean adolescent Young’s Internet Addiction Scale
- Achenbach, T. M. (1991a). Manual for the child behavior checklist/4-18 and 1991 profile. Burlington: Department of Psychiatry, University of Vermont.Google Scholar
- Achenbach, T. M. (1991b). Manual for the youth self report and 1991 profile. Burlington: Department of Psychiatry, University of Vermont.Google Scholar
- American Psychiatric Association. (2013). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (5th ed.). Arlington, VA: American Psychiatric Publishing.Google Scholar
- Carmins, E., & Mclver, J. (1981). Analyzing models with unobserved variables. In G. W. Bohrnestedt & E. F. Borgetta (Eds.), Social measurement: Current issues (pp. 65–115). Beverly Hills, CA: Sage.Google Scholar
- Diamantopoulos, A., & Siguaw, J. A. (2000). Introducing LISREL. London: Sage.Google Scholar
- Goldberg, I. (1996) Internet addiction disorder. Retrieved November from http://www.rider.edu/~suler/psycbber/supportgp.html.
- Hair, J., Anderson, R., Tatham, R., & Black, W. (1998). Multivariate data analysis. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall.Google Scholar
- Joreskog, K., & Sorbom, D. (1993). LISREL 8: Structural equation modeling with the SIMPLIS command language. Chicago, IL: Scientific Software International Inc.Google Scholar
- Korea Internet and Security Agency. (2010). Survey on the internet usage. Seoul: KISA.Google Scholar
- Nunnally, J. C. (1967). Psychometric theory. New York: McGraw Hill.Google Scholar
- Young, K. S. (1998a). Caught in the net: How to recognize the signs of internet addiction and a winning strategy for recovery. New York: Wiley.Google Scholar