Deciding Versus Implementing: A Comment on “What Gets Noticed: How Barrier and Facilitator Perceptions Relate to the Adoption and Implementation of Innovative Mental Health Practices”
- 81 Downloads
Seffrin et al. (2008) give a glimpse into the perceptions and attitudes of agency leaders who have either actively implemented a new mental health practice or decided against it after an initial consideration. Their study is a useful complement to the increasing number of studies in the mental health services research literature examining strategies for facilitating the implementation of evidence-based practices in routine practice, for example, the National Implementing Evidence-Based Practices (EBP) Project (Drake et al. 2001; McHugo et al. 2007).
Before commenting on the substantive findings, some methodological observations are in order. First, in any content analysis, the choice of the conceptual framework has huge impact on the findings; investigators can only discover patterns within the structure they use to categorize responses. In the current study, most responses were categorized into four priori categories, with just one additional content category emerging from the...
KeywordsPublic Mental Health Content Category Agency Leader Administrative Action Competitive Employment
- Finnerty, M. T., Rapp, C. A., Bond, G. R., Lynde, D. W., Ganju, V. J., & Goldman, H. H. (2009). The State Health Authority Yardstick (SHAY). Community Mental Health Journal, 45.Google Scholar
- Mancini, A. D., Moser, L. L., Whitley, R., McHugo, G. J., Bond, G. R., Finnerty, M. T., & Burns, B. J. (2009). Assertive community treatment: Facilitators and barriers to implementation in routine mental health settings. Psychiatric Services (Washington, D.C.), 60, 189–195. doi: 10.1176/appi.ps.60.2.189.Google Scholar
- Marshall, T., Rapp, C. A., Becker, D. R., & Bond, G. R. (2008). Key factors for implementing supported employment. Psychiatric Services (Washington, D.C.), 59, 886–892. doi: 10.1176/appi.ps.59.8.886.
- McHugo, G. J., Drake, R. E., Whitley, R., Bond, G. R., Campbell, K., Rapp, C. A., Goldman, H. H., Lutz, W. J., & Finnerty, M. T. (2007). Fidelity outcomes in the implementing National Evidence-Based Practices Project. Psychiatric Services (Washington, D.C.), 58, 1279–1284. doi: 10.1176/appi.ps.58.10.1279.
- Woltmann, E. M., Whitley, R., McHugo, G. J., Brunette, M., Torrey, W. C., Coots, L., Lynde, D., & Drake, R. E. (2008). The role of staff turnover in the implementation of evidence-based practices in mental health care. Psychiatric Services (Washington, D.C.), 59, 732–737. doi: 10.1176/appi.ps.59.7.732.Google Scholar